Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First time build for a good price
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:03 am 

Hey guys I am planning on building my first pc in a few months, once I've saved up enough. I'm am far from an expert and the parts that I have in my cart are only from a guy who recommended them on a different site. I do trust him, but want to get some second advice from others who know a lot about pc's, hence, I decided to post in these forums.
Parts List Here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wNT7

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500A-LED Ball Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

My main question is, will these parts work well together (the site says their compatible, but again wanted second opinion) and are there other parts you would recommend that are different from my list, either to replace or add on to. I also would like to know what would be a good case for my build that is under $50. Will this build be able to play games like Skyrim, Crysis, and GTA V? Danke

Post subject: Re: First time build for a good price
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:39 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Welcome to the forums! I hope you come to enjoy computers as much as I do.
rattmann wrote:
My main question is, will these parts work well together (the site says their compatible, but again wanted second opinion) and are there other parts you would recommend that are different from my list, either to replace or add on to. I also would like to know what would be a good case for my build that is under $50. Will this build be able to play games like Skyrim, Crysis, and GTA V?

Actually, I see about 4 questions in there, but in order:
  • Yes, they are compatible
  • Yes, there are other parts I would recommend - see below
  • You're the one that will be looking at this computer day-in/day-out, so you really need to do your own research. Personally, I would want a case with USB3.0 and a side vent of some sort. For $50, here's a Newegg link that shows you several cases in that price range with USB3.0 on the case. Personally, I like the NZXT 210 and the 220 in that order, but you may want something with a little more pizazz
  • Yes, you will be able to play games like Skyrim, Crysis and GTA V

Before I answer question 2 in more detail, you really need to decide on a budget, then stick to it (don't go over, but don't go way under either). Once you have your budget, you need to determine what you need. Do you have an OS? You don't list it and if you want Windows, that's another $100. Monitor, keyboard, mouse? These things add up. What is the primary purpose of your computer? If it's playing games, then you need to be sure to select a good GPU (which you did, :))

Point is, you need to know "how much you've got", "what you need" and "why you need it" before you do anything else. Only AFTER these steps are done, can you evaluate what you can/cannot afford.

Be sure to check out other posts in the forum and see what other people are building (and what other people are saying about their builds). This is an excellent resource for anyone thinking about buying/building a computer. I suggest people spend about 40 hours planning, evaluating, researching and reviewing BEFORE they make their purchase.

Ok...off the soapbox and on to question 2. With the exception of the CPU cooler, it's a good build. Here's a few comments:
  • I like the 965, but you might want to try the AMD 6300. It's a little more money, but it's a newer generation than the 965 and will beat it every time. Good news, it's compatible with your motherboard so you don't have to change that.
  • The Zalman looks pretty, but I can tell by the design that thing is HUGE...and heavy. When selecting a CPU cooler, you need to make sure it will fit within the case you select, and I can tell you that Zalman is going to disqualify many cases. If you're not doing any OCing (or you're only doing a little OCing), then I like this Arctic CPU cooler. It's better than a stock cooler and the one I used is extremely quiet. Another favorite on this board is the Cooler Master 212. I have not used it myself and I know it's tall, so maybe someone else can tell you whether its height is a concern. I also noticed this Corsair H60 on sale after rebate. I have used one of these too and it is an excellent choice - quiet, efficient and will keep you CPU cool.
  • Unfortunately, I can't tell if the RAM you selected has one of the tall RAM coolers (with the fins, etc.); if you did - while it looks cool - they can get in the way of the CPU cooler depending on how close the RAM slots are to the CPU, so be careful.
  • The 7950 is a great choice for gaming (I prefer nVidia), but if you're tight on money (or you want to shift your funds to another component, like the CPU I suggested), the 7870 is a nice card that will easily do the trick. Check out this XFX 7870.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:13 pm 

I'm planning on running on Windows 8 and as far a keyboard/mouse/monitor, I'm keeping my old mouse and keyboard and upgrading my monitor, my current one is really bad. What would you recommend for a good monitor?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:22 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

There's a few monitors that I would recommend but you haven't given us a budget to work with yet. Without that it's a little hard to know whether to recommend a nice 24" IPS monitor or if we're going to have to look at nice TN panels in the 22" range.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:34 pm 

My apologies, I am hoping my budget will be under/aroumd $900.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:59 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Well, I'm going to go with a radical overhaul of the build. You're looking at previous generation AMD hardware and even current AMD hardware does not stack up well against Intel with a rare few instances in video encoding. I really hope AMD becomes competitive again sometime soon as good things have happened for both sides when they have but as it stands right now Intel is the high performance king. With all of that being said here's what I'm going to recommend:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K - $229.99
Motherboard:ASRock Extreme4 Z77 - $124.99
RAM:G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 8GB (2x4GB) - $46.99
GPU:XFX Core Edition 7870 Ghz Edition 2GB - $224.99
HDD: Seagate 500GB - $59.99
PSU:Corsair CX-500 - $59.99
Case:NZXT Source 210 - $39.99
Monitor:Acer S220HZ 21.5" LED backlit - $129.99

Total: $916.92

Yes, you're dropping from a 7950 to a 7870 however it's still a very good card that's quite capable. You're also getting a lot more balance between your GPU and CPU along with getting a much faster CPU. If you can squeeze it into the budget somehow I'd add another $100 for an SSD like the Samsung 840 120GB as it will really make a difference in how snappy your system responds.