Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: whats holding me back!?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:28 am 

looking to see what my next upgrade should be i do moderate amount of gaming and i am looking to start up grading to keep up with new games to be released this year i thin ssd drive is next upgrade what should be after that?

Verified NovaBench Score: 1051

Test run on February 22, 2013
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

AMD AMD FX8120 EightCore running at 3100 MHz

NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti GPU

16362 MB System RAM (Score: 205)
- RAM Speed: 5521 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 475)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 176981872
- Integer Operations/Second: 448916520
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 648621

Graphics Tests (Score: 361)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 1019

Hardware Tests (Score: 10)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 71 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 46 MB/s

Post subject: Re: whats holding me back!?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:55 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I know this is your first post and all...and I do welcome you to the Forums, but Awwk! Capitalization exists for a reason! It's a tool, don't be one, so use it and make your Mom proud and don't appear IQ deficient. Capitalization is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse and helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

whats holding me back, you ask? Your grammar, punctuation and communication skills for three.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:21 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Games are generally GPU capped. The first upgrade you should look into is a new video card, like a GTX 660 Ti or Radeon HD 7870.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 pm 

I'm sorry sir next time id like to hear your opinion on my grammar and communication skills ill ask you directly. As for making my mother proud she always taught me, as I assume any other mother would teach their children, to not say anything at all if I don't have anything to say. So maybe next time you decide you must post something that isn't helpful you're more than welcome to private message me so I can kindly delete it. Thank you for your concern and wisdom. Ill try to remember next time I post in a forum to use all proper punctuation and spelling in order to not have to go through this again.

And for those who do give me feedback I thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:04 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Glad I could help. I provided you requisite feedback. Feedback that will last you a lifetime my friend. Not just in the here and now with your silly rig conundrum. Take responsibility for your appearance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Verified NovaBench Score: 1051
AMD AMD FX8120 EightCore running at 3100 MHz
NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti GPU

Hardware Tests (Score: 10)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 71 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 46 MB/s

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy computers as much as I do.

As to your question and build:
  • An SSD will speed up your computer - mainly load times, but it won't do much more towards gaming
  • The GPU is decent for mid-graphic settings. If you want better, you need to look at the 660, 660 Ti or a 7870
  • I'm curious - your primary partition is 71GB (I'm guessing it's an 80GB HDD)...or is that a partition or a larger HDD? And if it is an 80GB HDD, where on earth did you dig that thing up? Is it even SATA?
  • Unfortunately an AMD CPU running at 3.1GHz is approximately the same as an Intel CPU running at 2.3GHz. What's worse, I don't think the 8150 had a turbo mode. A mild OC will help. Ideally, you should look at a newer CPU - perhaps, the 8350.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:38 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Hello JBravo,

I'm going to chip in my two cents and agree with the above posters, well except for kleinkinstein. The main things holding you back are your CPU and your GPU with third place being awarded to your hard drive presuming it is a mechanical hard drive. I think your first upgrade, if you can afford it, should be to your GPU. The 550Ti is on the underpowered side of graphics cards and you could get a nice boost by upgrading to a 7850 or 7870. Coming up close behind it would be the GPU. Personally I would recommend Intel but that would be a good deal more expensive in your case since you'd also have to purchase a new motherboard. As suggested I'd go with an AMD 8350. For the SSDs that you're looking at I've been impressed with the performance and reliability of the Samsung drives. I'd suggest a Samsung 840 either 120 GB or 256GB drive, whichever best fits your budget.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 am 

Thank you for your input everyone. I do think im going to go with a 7870 card for my gaming set up. I also will upgrade to a 120 gb ssd for running of my windows 7. I now have an almost full 500 gb western digital blue drive. I have hundreds of gigs of photography from past couple years that I have backed up on an external 500 gig drive. I do want to add an 1 or 2 tb spin drive for data and media.

As for cpu will I have a bottle neck problem running my current cpu with a 7870?

Ive been thinking of switching to Intel for about a year now, so far ive had good luck with amd so ive been hesitant about spending the money. I do think its time next time I have some extra cash.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Jbravo44 wrote:
As for cpu will I have a bottle neck problem running my current cpu with a 7870?

No. Never. But for the money...a quick $30, get the 7950 instead. The performance is night and day. Just skip a few lunches next week. Simple.

And I luv the caps! You learn so quick. So very quick that my work here is done.