Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wait for Haswell?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 pm 

I'm planning on building a new desktop pretty soon, and with the Geforce 700 series supposedly coming out around the Spring I thought that would be a good time. But I also heard that Intel announced their Haswell processors to come out during the summer. I'm selling my old computer so I'll only have a tiny laptop to web browse on until I put my new rig together. I'm fine with waiting until ~April for the new NVIDIA cards, but July is a pretty long way off. However, if you say that buying anything a couple of months before Haswell is a huge waste of money I'll dig deep and find the willpower to hold off. I don't want to waste any money. And please keep in mind that I'm almost completely technology illiterate, and my intentions are single monitor, decent resolution, high end gaming with a budget of $1800-$2200 in case any of that matters. Please and thank you!

Post subject: Re: Wait for Haswell?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you want something right now, sure.

If not, wait. I'd say if anything the prices of previous hardware will drop, but Sandy Bridge still goes for as much as Ivy Bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:30 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

That's a sizable budget. Much too much and probably 2x more than you need. Wait! It'll be worth it and since it'll be the last truly engineered desktop proc. From Haswell forward it's going to be all about TDP, BGA and the mobile chipset form factor. So much so we may actually see AMD sneak back into the game, that is if desktops are even in the mix by then. Early samples already have it 10-21% faster than a 3770k in IPC at the same frequency, plus it'll have solder not glue and OC like a mofo...like SB. All in a package that sports a 10-15w lower TDP. Haswell will be delicious. And I won't even mention all the native goodies that LGA 1150 brings.

kleinkinstein wrote:
[color=#0000FF]It's real simple. Haswell is a Tock and unless you are forced you should never buy ticks, only tocks! Its' IPC, iGPU and TDP is going perform like nothing we've seen before. It will make all previous gen procs inferior. Read on.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173383

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:22 am 

Thanks for the replies. Honestly I can't make sense of the pictures, but I'm guessing Haswell is a big deal. So do you think we're talking about waiting until mid July before I should build if I decide to wait? Because I could probably scrounge a laptop somewhere that plays League of Legends at least and be set until then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The current rumor mill is that Haswell is due for July. And while Titan is due for February, if you want something cheaper from the series, that's not until Q4.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:51 am 

But I thought Intel announced Haswell to be released on June 2nd. If I plan on spending around $300 on one of the new CPU's I would have to wait almost until the end of the year? Will there be something wrong with the processors released in June?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The June release will only be for the mobile sku's, the desktop sku's are slated for mid July....mid-late August I've been whispered. If you can't wait, don't. You can always dump your Ivy proc and 1156 on ebay. But make no mistake, it'll be worth the wait.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm 

Thanks for the great replies. Just one more post from me (I think). Here are two scenarios: I wait with no computer until Intel releases a Haswell CPU that's right for me (~August) and get the most bang for my buck; or, I wait until NVIDIA releases a new card that's right for me (~April) and buy a cheaper CPU ($100-$200) and upgrade in 2014 with the next batch of revolutionary processors, possibly wasting some money but getting a PC sooner. Which do you choose? Also, I hear a lot about integrated GPU's on processors. So these are like graphics renderers that are just usually underpowered leading people to buy dedicated cards from companies like AMD and NVIDIA right? If Haswell has good integrated graphics will I even need a card?