Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Interesting CoolIt system malfunction to ponder
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

When I heard CoolIt was moving from making their own products to design others', I bought all the Vantages I could from the local store. I just liked them and were low cost at the time. Since then I've moved (just a few blocks away) and many of the PC's these were installed in have just sat stagnant. Well, I deciced to fire a few up starting with the Wife's i7 920 box since we're trying to get back into online poker with the MPC friends.

I picked it up to take it to the garage for a good cleaning and mild updating and something was rolling around. I've been known to store some extra parts in cases, but knew I hadn't in this one. I opened it up right there, shook it around, and there's this double o-ringed plug. I didn't know what it was at first but then I smelt that familiar stench of coolant. Only a couple drops here and there and mostly from shaking the box around, but the plug was to the extra port on the bottom of the Vantage's radiator. I stuck it back in and for the life of me can't pull it back out without a lot of effort. How the heck did that just pop out during storage?

I looked at all 7 machines that had this Vantage system installed and found only one other with that plug just laying on a video card, so it's not an isolated case in this home anyway (2 of 7).

I'm fine dealing with topping them back off and securing all the plugs with a roll pin, but I can't for the life of me figure out what made them just pop out a plug just sitting there. I'm in San Diego and it will not freeze, I smell and taste Glycol so it has antifreeze in it anyway (why, I don't know. Might just be Prestone in there for all I know), never changed elevation, and just sat there. The rest of the fittings have roll-pins to secure the fittings, but this one is just double o-ringed and slapped in there. They all ran fine until stored for the past 6mo.

Anyone with a CoolIt Vantage ever notice this? Did the ECO or their current Corsair designs have this blank plug that doesn't have a roll-pin? Just a mystery I figured I'd share with ya'll.

Post subject: Re: Interesting CoolIt system malfunction to ponder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'm picturing the Joe Dirt scene: "You're out of date, life is what you make it"
fine, you like to see homo's naked...move along old man

I see this plug in CoolIt designed systems too though, even on the latest Corsair 80i. Will it pop out on you? Why?