Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New build for Video Processing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:06 am 

Upgrading from AMD 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+. Considering Intel.

Need Lots of memory
6 to 10 hard drives. (Motherboard is more important)
4 usb 3
sata 6
SLD drive
3 monitors

My real needs are Fast processing, hard drives, sata6, usb3, 3 monitors. And I do like ASUS but not married to it. I also will be purchasing 2 portables that need windows 8, touch screen, fast, drive space & SLD.

When I say fast I don't mean a 10 percent increase to get it. I need fast but I need to be smart.

Bob

Edited by nsafreak:

Hello Bob,

We're more than happy to help you with your build and figuring out what would work best for you needs and budget. Along with answering any questions that you might have about the technology going into this build. However having multiple threads each with one question pertaining to just one part of the build can make things difficult for all involved so let's try and keep all of the questions pertaining to this build within this one thread. We appreciate you taking the time to post here and we all look forward to helping you build your PC.

Your friendly Forum Administrator,

Nsafreak

Post subject: Re: Fast processing of large data files and video
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

1. Stop posting topics that pertain to the same subject
2. While you put out decent requirements hardware wise, do you even have the money for the "fastest" parts?

If you want something really fast, the minimum you'll need is at least $1500 give or take.

Post subject: Re: Fast processing of large data files and video
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 am 

Sorry I was only responding to a question. The topic started as a question on Thunder. Yes I do have the money. My insurance company finally paid for my losses and I need to start recovering from my losses. I have to replace 2 power system, with out going over the top. Five have way decent desktop computers. And 2 portables that will give me decent power. My first concern is the somewhat fast tower or mid-tower. Yes I have the money but over the years I have not keep up with the tech.
Example: Thunder seems to be a usb type connection for monitors.
SATA for drives.
SLD drives.

It one time I was the go to guy in my family and company. Now I'm just the, Bob haven't you given up yet Bob. Oh, and the answer is "No Way".

Bob

I'm going to try and close other topic. The following is from that topic:
Budget $2,500 does not include hard drives or monitor. I will be buying all new hard drives. I figure $2500 to cover case, cpu, memory SLD & other items such as power source. Not to go nuts but this will be my last power system. I also don't need to spend money for a 10% fast cpu. I also need lots of memory. But I'm not sure how new systems will use it if I go with up to 32 or on some boards 64. My currant system has 4 and Windows 7 not to friendly with it. I use a USB for a boast in memory. I run lots of support programs all the time. Data base, 285m files, is my main concern. But I also process lots of video very day.

Upgrading from AMD 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+. Considering Intel.

Post subject: eSata
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 pm 

What is eSATA and how does eSATA Port multiplier fit in with it?

Post subject: Re: eSata
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

eSATA is an external SATA 3Gbps interface.

While you could use a multiplier, you're limited to about 3 hard drives before you start taking a performance penalty for sharing bandwidth if all drives are working.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:24 pm 

>>eSATA is an external SATA 3Gbps interface.<<
Is eSATA mostly a portable computer type of device?
Is it available as a SATA 6Gbps?

If I ran and external hard drive container that holds for drives would this be sensible. If each drive was dedicated to one type of operation. , such as one drive only backups. another drive might hold my video files that would not be dependent on the other drives. in other words, each drive would be mostly dedicated to one type of function. , especially since all of my program's and Windows would be on a SLD.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Is eSATA mostly a portable computer type of device?
If by portable you mean notebooks and such, no. It's available on any platform that can afford the space for a connector.

Is it available as a SATA 6Gbps?
No.

You should probably look into using USB 3.0, since eSATA is sort of being shoved under the rug. The practical bandwidth provided is the same if not more.

Post subject: Memory to use
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:39 pm 

I see the following specs for the Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM. What memory would I be looking at for speed? Most of my operations are dealing with 265 MB files and a lot of video processing. I also have quite a few support programs open at all times. I will be using two 27 inch monitors that will handle color for graphics & 1 27" monitor to be used for text viewing. On this question I'm hoping to get a better understanding on the terms used for Asus spec's.

Need to understand:
4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3
What memory when I be looking at for Speed?:2800(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066
What will this do for me. MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
What will this do for me. Dual Channel Memory Architecture
What will this do for me. Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
What will this do for me. * Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

I'm hoping to make a better decision on building this computer since it will be the last one I build.

Bob

Post subject: Thunderbolt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:44 pm 

>>Daisy-chain up to 6 Thunderbolt devices.<<
I get the feeling that thunderbolt is related to display devices. What kind of devices can be used with Thunderbolt? Now and future.

Is Thunderbolts somehow connected to this term, I see so many times, such as Z77. Or is thunderbolt, a proprietary term for Asus.

Bob

Post subject: Please help me understand
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm 

I need a good understanding on how the following works. For one the color terms used with SATA. I have included what I'm thinking it will do in bold:
Storage

Intel® Z77 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray (Hook up 2 internal drives, faster than 3gb)
3 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue (Hook up 2 internal drives)
1 x mini-SATA 3Gb/s port(s) with onboard 32GB SSD, black (SSD drive-Is there also a as 6gb)
Marvell® PCIe 9230 controller : (What would hook up to this)
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue (How does this differ from the above gray)
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller : *4 (How can this be used? Seems it is a drive hook)
2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red (How does red differ and what is the "e"?

Hoping for some answers. True I should know the answer. Couple of years ago I mighh have.
Bob

Post subject: Lan Control
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 pm 

With the questions that I'm asking here in separate topics I hope that I can get a very good understanding on specs in most motherboard specifications plus anybody searching on these items are going to have a better response.

the difference between Intel® 82579V & Intel® 82583 might be one's older than the other. But I would like to know.
Dual Gigabit LAN controllers- 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) appliance: my thought is that with this you could easy chain your network
Intel® LAN- Dual interconnect between the Integrated LAN controller and Physical Layer (PHY): this one I don't have a clue.

Bob

Post subject: Re: New build for Video Processing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:29 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You're basically going down a road where you really want everything about building a computer in one thread.

As LatiosXT states, eSata is fading into the horizon with USB 3.0. Even when eSATA was in it's prime it was fairly hard to find external devices that utilized it. USB 3.0 is slow to roll out, but it's still more easily implemented into devices like Cameras, ext drives, webcams, and so on.

Thunderbolt I'll leave alone as that can be a topic of it's own. But if you have it on that motherboard, it would be a plus for some video processing duties. It's not for display devices like monitors.

Memory: all you'll really need is DDR3-1600, but if you see 1866Mhz sticks for just $5 more, why not? Non-ECC/Non-buffered is pretty standard desktop memory as the other stuff is only needed in servers/critical applications. Dual Channel is fine. Don't need XMP profiles, but if it has it...it has it. Hyper DIMM support is ganged with XMP and just another easy, push-button overclocking tool. If you go with 1600, that may push your memory a bit and get a little more bandwidth. Again not needed, but you board will allow it and it's just there.

What S/ATA ports do what is explained in the manual when it arrives or you can download it now from Asus' support site. The Gray ports will be off Intel's S/ataIII 6G controller and the fastest and most reliable port (SSD's need only apply). The blue will also be off Intel's controller, but downshifted to 3G/SataII (think "spindle" drives). The Navy blue ports are off a Marvell S/ATA controller and just offered as a perk for more pseudo 6G ports. It's nearly as good as Intel's controller, but I guess you have more ports. This was popular on P68 boards before Intel had their own on-chip controller and carried over; Think of these as S/ATA 4G if you will.

you've been explained what eSATA is (e = external). If you don't have eSATA devices, this is board fluff.

Don't need dual gigabit LAN controllers, but you have it on that board. In the past you were able to gang them up, but still...one Gigabit port can be more than enough. Most will only need one. Then Intel LAN dual interconnect is basically what I meant by ganging up the ports. It's possible, but you probably won't.
------------------------------
In short, you're looking at a $450 board and not sure if you need any of it. Not trying to be rude, but are you just picking the most expensive board you can find and figure out what it all does/means? For $240 you can get a [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131853[/url]P8Z77-V Pro + Thunderbolt, with 8G of free Corsair memory[/url], that's like saving $50 right off the top of the build and still have the option for Thunderbolt once you know how to implement it.

That's the board I'd suggest. Not knowing exactly what you're doing, the rest is really up in the air.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Chumly wrote:
You're basically going down a road where you really want everything about building a computer in one thread.

Precisely why I gave up after the 4th consecutive post.

@OP, you need a game plan fueled by needs versus budget. Anything less is forum diarrhea.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:18 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Well, ya gotta start somewhere I suppose. Now that it's isolated here in one thread, it's not so bad. Still a lot to try to put in one thread since we have oodles of info dating back to 2004 here (and perhaps even then some crosslinks to our parent Delphi forum). When I started I had a lot of questions too. Just have to learn to soft-peddle it a tad, get what you basically want, and then go from there. Walk before you run or...damn, haven't said this in a while: Baby steps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:16 pm 

>>Chumly<<
For the last week I have been all over the net. Questions and research with no help full answers. I only disagree with one thing. All in one post. That' because you nailed it pretty darn good. Ok. I will look at the suggested board.

I now know I don't need eSATA. Also NewEgg is a bit confusing. They listed the P8Z77-V Deluxe for a lot less than 450. They also called it a ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. Note: "LGA".

You have given me a starting point which I was hoping for.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

LGA 1155 is the socket type dude.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:20 pm 

What a relief. Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm 

Price is not as much an issues as the order. Every one is willing to take the money but not qualifie the order.
Example: T he K in Intel Core i7-377 OK is if your likely to over clock, which I will not.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm 

>>Precisely why I gave up after the 4th consecutive post.
@OP, you need a game plan fueled by needs versus budget. Anything less is forum diarrhea.<<

Not sure what you mean. But you your self have given me useful info. I'm struggling trying to get what I need to replace 6 computers that where Vandalized or stolen. I don't want to make a mistake on my needs. My company is on a hold until I replace my computers. Yes my topics aren't the best but ever bit of help tales me closer to my recovery. And my tech department was the person that did the embezzling. Which makes me the tech pro that is responsible for 8 computers. And I have trouble just replacing my Asus portable.
Bob