Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Build the Best Bang for the Buck PC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:24 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Hey folks, we just posted a story on how to build the best bang for your buck PC: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... ck_PC_2012

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Maximum PC Online Managing Editor Jimmy Thang

Post subject: Re: Build the Best Bang for the Buck PC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

If you're going to run a dedicated video card, then I see bang for the buck in the CPU department with a $180 i5-3350P. When you get down to it, you don't need the iGPU HD4000 of the 3570K and you can make up the 300Mhz (unlocked or not) and save $50.

The Crucial SSD was left wanting. 120G is really enough, the Samsung 840 and OCZ Vector are tied IMO and just pick the deal of the day ($130 isn't rare), then just buy a spindle to hold files that don't need it. With your pricing point of $200 and finding a top end 120G SSD for $130, then I'd spend $70 on a spindle drive to match. $110 for a 2TB Red drive sounds nice too though (3TB better when you talk price per Gig though). But if you wanna do apples to apples, OCZ Agility 4 258 is $150 almost anywhere.

Hmmm...then you pick a 3G spindle drive. Did ya'll consider your earlier pick for a large SSD or...

Hate the case, but that's relative. If you like the Fractal Define R4, then why not the Fractal Arc Midi as it's even more flexible than the Phantom 410. Keep in mind, sound foam isn't needed and keeps heat in. metal is a radiator, foam isn't...that's insulation to keep it inside the case.

It's been a while since you've really tested a PSU, so I'll leave that lame duck of a unit alone. I wouldn't touch that unit as I believe it's an FSP build (have to check on that). You should test these harder and not just "it works and advertises the wattage" because most don't actually even meet ATX standards at all, let alone make you feel comfy with build quality. For $100 and this build, you can dip below 660W just fine and come out with an awesome PSU and not just a penny pincher model.