Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First WC setup (actual advice this time please)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hey again, posted this the other day but ended up just getting a lot of useless replies about how making a WC setup wont make my computer quieter rather then any actual advice on the parts ive picked out or any answers to any of my questions so re-posted in hopes that someone may actually reply with something helpful.

My rig right now:
Asus RIVE
I7-3930k stock w/corsair H100 (cant get a OC to stick yet, new to these)
16 gig rip jaw Z series
EVGA 680 classified.
2x Intel 520 120gbs Os/games
5x WD caviar blacks for storage
All in a mountain mods extended U2-

I'm not sure if it would be better to just leave the CPU on the H100 and then build a dedicated loop for the gfx (and maybe mobo?)? Or do the whole thing. I have plenty of space for the rads and open drive bay space, as well as space on the bottom of the case. I am also planning to add a 2nd 680 classified at some point so need a system that's easy enough to just add more to. Also debating adding new ram possibly then cooling those? Unless that's totally useless

I posted over on another forum and got 1 reply but basically my current thought is to use a res/pump combo->Rad->GPU->back to res/pump and leave my CPU on the H100 for now. The parts i was thinking are the EK Res/Pump combo, and the Ek XTX 480 Rad. and then the EVGA 680 class waterblock+backplate. I went with all EK as they seem to be very highly regarded in the various build logs ive read, tho i am open to others if theres anything better people can point out. My biggest question then would be the various fittings, tubes, connectors, etc that id need to tie these things together as well as fans. For them i gather that 'static pressure' is more important then just CFM, so i was thinking the Corsair SP120 High performance static pressure ones although im not sure how much CFm/pressure is needed for a quad rad running just 1 (or 2) gfx cards, could i get away with the Quiet Editions? they have half the static pressure but are 10db quieter...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: First WC setup (actual advice this time please)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:25 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Useless? Right! You silly soul, the same question will beg the same response. Open your feeble mind.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=236111

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well OP, you did say:
Quote:
So I'm getting tired of my computer sounding like a jet engine so thinking its time for me to make the switch to a liquid cooling setup.

This is were we picked up on, because there are cheaper methods you should look at first before spending over half your computer's value in water cooling. Anyway, we really don't care about water cooling. It's too expensive to be practical, maintenance is a pain in the neck, and it's kind of hard to upgrade the PC when you have a water loop going around it. If you're willing to put up with this, then more power to you.

If you want some guides: http://www.overclock.net/t/766479/water ... r-beginner
www.tomshardware.com/forum/266902-29-si ... ling-2600k

And a dosage of Google.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:17 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

LatiosXT wrote:
Well OP, you did say:
Quote:
So I'm getting tired of my computer sounding like a jet engine so thinking its time for me to make the switch to a liquid cooling setup.

This is were we picked up on, because there are cheaper methods you should look at first before spending over half your computer's value in water cooling. Anyway, we really don't care about water cooling. It's too expensive to be practical, maintenance is a pain in the neck, and it's kind of hard to upgrade the PC when you have a water loop going around it. If you're willing to put up with this, then more power to you.

If you want some guides: http://www.overclock.net/t/766479/water ... r-beginner
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26690 ... ling-2600k

And a dosage of Google.

Well my thought was replacing the 20+ regular fans on my case and the GPUs built in ones with just the ones on a few rads would quiet down the comp.....Thanks for the link btw gives some good pointers. Im still curious to know what people have to say about the parts ive posted, if they are good or not, the oc.net page is good but its about 3 years old, so parts arent quite upto date. Im leaning to the 1/2 piping for a higher flow rate. Tho im still wondering what the point of compression fitting are, is it just if you are connecting a part with a smaller hookup? Or do you want to like have 1/2" tubing and connect to a waterblock using a smaller fitting? to speed up the water over it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Do you happen to have a fan controller installed? I would imagine so since I can't think of any motherboards that have that many fan headers, although I guess you could be using splitters. In any case perhaps you should look into using less fans or perhaps using fans that are bit quieter? I know that the Mountain mods case is a large one but to be quite frank I can't think of a reason that you would need to move that much air through the case for the components listed. Personally I always go for maximum airflow with the least amount of fans possible. So perhaps you might want to experiment with your fan controller by scaling down the number of fans you have running and see how it affects your temps and the amount of noise generated. Failing that you could get quieter fans like the Cougar CF-V12s with the hydro dynamic bearings.

That being said the parts that you've chosen for a water cooling loop are a good start and should do the job of cooling your system. However I'm a bit on the doubtful side that you'll actually hear a reduction in the amount of noise that a WC setup generates versus a balanced air cooling solution. You'll still have to have some fans to move the heat off the radiators and the pumps to move the coolant generate noise as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:56 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

nsafreak wrote:
Do you happen to have a fan controller installed? I would imagine so since I can't think of any motherboards that have that many fan headers, although I guess you could be using splitters. In any case perhaps you should look into using less fans or perhaps using fans that are bit quieter? I know that the Mountain mods case is a large one but to be quite frank I can't think of a reason that you would need to move that much air through the case for the components listed. Personally I always go for maximum airflow with the least amount of fans possible. So perhaps you might want to experiment with your fan controller by scaling down the number of fans you have running and see how it affects your temps and the amount of noise generated. Failing that you could get quieter fans like the Cougar CF-V12s with the hydro dynamic bearings.

That being said the parts that you've chosen for a water cooling loop are a good start and should do the job of cooling your system. However I'm a bit on the doubtful side that you'll actually hear a reduction in the amount of noise that a WC setup generates versus a balanced air cooling solution. You'll still have to have some fans to move the heat off the radiators and the pumps to move the coolant generate noise as well.

Currently i have a couple splitters hooked to the board directly to control the more important fans (exhaust, ones right on the front of case). With a bay controller to control the other 16 on the top/sides (which are off 90% of the time). I guess i should forget the hope of having a significant change in sound level if i go WC, i still want to as ive always wanted to have it but never gotten around to doing it. Either way, i want to get started with WCing....