Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: anything PCU above 3.2ish GHz a waste for gaming?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:02 am 

I have a question. Its in the Subject lol.

I asked recently if an .3 was good enough for gaming and I heard yes. So, anything above that, i5 or i7, is that overkill for gaming? I would like to run every game Skyrim, shooters, and other open world games at the highest settings posssible. Is an i3, good enough?

Post subject: Re: anything PCU above 3.2ish GHz a waste for gaming?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

"Good enough", yes. But if you want optimal then an i5 is the ideal choice, the 3570k is optimal. What you don't need for gaming is HT.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... ,3106.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It's not so much the speed that's the stopping point so much its performance overall. However, from what I gathered in a more or less "serious" fashion, the Core i3 is the lowest processor you can go before high-end GPUs are bottlenecked. That is, if you have say a GeForce GTX 680 or Radeon HD 7970 GE, it'll run more or less at full potential on an i3. But if you drop to a Pentium G850, the performance of your games drops to something like a step down or two, but it depends on the games.

A Core i5 is about the highest you can go before performance doesn't improve much. A Core i7-3770K barely makes any improvement. A Core i7-3960X has more performance in games, but not enough to justify the 5x price tag.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Is the game HT capable? If not, then we need not worry about HT CPU's like the i5 or i7's. You answered this already.

A fast i3 3220 should do the trick just fine. What is lacking, as far as gaming goes, is the GPU and the screen you're pumping out to. Look, if a 3.3Ghz Ivybridge core won't cut it, 7 more probably won't either. Look at the fastest i7 hex core: 3.5Ghz. So if cores don't matter, the i3 is just 200Mhz down from that "ultimate CPU" on the single core. You can make that up. Those things cost over $1000. An i3 is about $120 and a GTX660Ti is about $310 ($430).

I still dare anyone to actually claim their SB/IB i3 is their actual bottleneck in games over the video card they chose. This dare has been alive since the Pentium3 and has still stood tall. Games= video cards.

Xbox360 is still running off dated CPU and GPU. They're fine with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Again, it depends on what the game is doing. I recall back when I had a AMD Athlon X2 3800+ I upgraded the video card from a 7800GTX to a 8800GT. Various games I ran were hit and miss on improvement of performance. Notably Half-Life 2: Episode 2 had virtually no increase in performance. Bioshock took less hits on FPS when things got intense. The only game that had what would be a real improvement was Call of Duty 4.

But that was then, things are different now. And sure, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are running on outdated hardware and "they're fine with that", but keep in mind they're running DirectX 9 level shaders and natively render most games at 720p, with quite a few at 640p. Very rarely is a high-intensity game rendered in 1080p. We're expecting our computers to push DirectX 11 level shaders at 1080p at the minimum these days, as I rarely see any benchmark now that starts at a lower resolution. However, since most PC games exist to cater to the console crowd as well, there's really no reason to buy anything higher than a GTX 660 or Radeon HD 7850/7870.

Also here's a recent article to look at exploring bottlenecking, but this scenario is very unlikely for most of us: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx- ... ,3407.html