Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Am I set for overclocking?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 am 

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EUGNP

This is my PC, I plan on overclocking to 4.5GHz, and I plan on superclocking the graphics card as well. Do I have a good enough cooling unit? And what's the standard EVGA superclock rate for the 680 anyways?

Post subject: Re: Am I set for overclocking?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:34 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Why did you buy and not build?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:56 pm 

kleinkinstein wrote:
Why did you buy and not build?

Because I'm still new to computers and although it fascinates, I am not Jesus incarnate when it comes to computer knowledge. I'd really like to learn more though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:03 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Save a fist full of cash and cancel your order. Take two days learning to be "Jesus Incarnate" with this, and then let's give it a go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I don't think many of us here were the "Jesus incarnate" of computers when we first built our machines. We all started somewhere and took that first step.

I probably didn't know like 80% of what I know now when I built my first computer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:47 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I knew maybe like 10-15% but had myself convinced I knew enough to get 50% complete. And wouldn't you know, not only did the install go silky smooth but it posted on first boot. Viola! So by the 2nd rig I had the build to boot down to about an hour and was already slipstreaming. So keep your money in your pocket and out of Cyperpower's mitts, use the difference for a bigger/faster ssd, new IPS panel, or beefier GPU. Put you money where it matters.

You can do this! We are all living examples of halting the excuses, brushing aside the fear and having a "can do" attitude.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

While this particular message board is heavily biased towards build it yourself machines, not everyone has the time to do so. Time is the main element, especially for a novice builder. I've built so many machines I've lost count, and my last two machines were the result of my walking into my local computer store with a fist full of cash and pointing to parts until I had a functional machine, then paying a few extra dollars and waiting an hour while they assembled it for a "post test". The kid in the back of the shop (who I used to be at one time) is quicker than I am because all he does is assemble machines all day. For me, time is scarce and valuable.
While I encourage enthusiasts to build their own machines, ordering from a custom builder is the next best thing. Granted, you'll know your machine considerably more intimately if you put it together yourself, but you get the benefits of a custom machine by ordering it from a boutique shop.
As far as saving money by building it yourself, that's unfortunately somewhat debatable in the current PC climate. While this used to be the case, component prices keep rising, and OEMs get bigger and bigger discounts with bulk purchasing power that they often pass along to consumers. No home builder can throw together a PC for under $300 with a Windows license no matter how cheap the components. Dell does this all day.
You'll build your own machine when you're ready, and it will be a rewarding experience. It's considerably easier than it looks (although occasionally frustrating).