Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Opinions on a GPU Upgrade!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:43 pm 

Hey guys, I was referred to these forums by a friend. Hopefully, I can get some advice on a few upgrades I'm doing..

Here's my current Specs: (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02871948&prodSeriesId=5080737)

AMD Athlon II 3.2 Quad
8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
ATi HD3870 GPU
500w Rosewill PSU

Win 7 x64
23" Monitor

I bought this HP a while back for real cheap, but put in my GPU and my PSU at the time.

---
Now, with my income tax(Feb. 5th. I will have it) I would like to spend a bit of it on my PC. Priority, I would think, is the GPU and I would like to spend around $150 but if there is a better price/performance ratio for $200 or less I can spend near that, but no more than $200.

I don't know too much about what to look for in the GPUs....like, why is the 6870 1gb($179) only a tad cheaper than a 7850 2gb($189)? I don't have a preference about AMD/Nvidia, I just want the best performing card within my budget.

Games I currently own or want to play:
LA Noire
Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas(I want to use ENBs and Graphical Mods)
DX:HR
The Witcher 2
Metro 2033
Rage
Far Cry 3
GTA 4

There are a few games coming out this year, and next, that I would like to have decent performance in as well, I don't want to have to buy a new card for at least a year or so..

Is this a good time to buy a GPU or is there new tech coming out soon that will cut the prices down a bit? Mind you, I really don't want to wait another month, but a week or two is ok.
-----

Also, I want to get a new Keyboard and Mouse.
The Keyboard, the only feature I want is backlit keys, I think that's what they're called. I like to game with the lights off, but I'm not too familiar with the keys so it would be nice to be able to see. I don't care about any other features, but I don't want to spend too much on it, if possible I would like to stay under $50 for the Keyboard.

My current Mouse is a Logitech G5 and I want something similar but with two thumb buttons opposed to just the one on my G5. The big problem I have with my G5 is the Middle Click-button is kinda hard to push in. Same budget as for the Keyboard, under or around $50.

Thanks guys!!

Post subject: Re: Need Opinions on a GPU Upgrade!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:12 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

The best bang for the buck by far is to go with a Radeon 7850. Yes there's new tech coming out that's just around the corner but that's almost always the case. I doubt that a 7850 is going to get much cheaper anytime soon barring potential sales.

The 7850 cards that I would recommend are:

XFX Core Edition 7850 2GB

MSI Twin Frozr 7850 2GB

Both are solid cards with very well thought out cooling systems.

For the keyboard I would recommend the Microsoft Sidewinder X4. It's a very well put together keyboard especially for the price with very good anti-ghosting.

For the mouse there are several ways to go and I would highly recommend test driving them if at all possible before purchase. The ones that I would recommend are:

SteelSeries Sensei Raw

Logitech G500

Roccat Kone

All of them are pretty good units but it always comes down to what feels best in your hand. I have rather large hands so my preferences might be different than what you would look for in a mouse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:30 pm 

nsafreak wrote:
The best bang for the buck by far is to go with a Radeon 7850. Yes there's new tech coming out that's just around the corner but that's almost always the case. I doubt that a 7850 is going to get much cheaper anytime soon barring potential sales.

The 7850 cards that I would recommend are:

XFX Core Edition 7850 2GB

MSI Twin Frozr 7850 2GB

Both are solid cards with very well thought out cooling systems.

For the keyboard I would recommend the Microsoft Sidewinder X4. It's a very well put together keyboard especially for the price with very good anti-ghosting.

For the mouse there are several ways to go and I would highly recommend test driving them if at all possible before purchase. The ones that I would recommend are:

SteelSeries Sensei Raw

Logitech G500

Roccat Kone

All of them are pretty good units but it always comes down to what feels best in your hand. I have rather large hands so my preferences might be different than what you would look for in a mouse.

QFR's are like 55$ now. May as well go mech.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:48 pm 

I have pretty big hands as well...The G5 looks really nice. So, Keyboard-wise, I'm going to have to spend around 50$ for one with back-lites? ...was hoping it would be cheaper, but I don't want...crap, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:32 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

That seems to be the case. Most of the keyboards that I've seen below $50 seem to lack the backlight feature and the ones that do have it aren't ones that I'd recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:05 pm 

Ordering tomorrow!! XFX 7850 2gb is the model you recommend? I ask because it only has 13 reviews on newegg and 4 eggs. It sucks, just last week it was around $180, now they're $199 + Shipping- since they are including two games with it I guess...which I would only play one of them :(

O, I forgot to add that the case it's going in is kinda small and not the best for air-flow, XFX has the best cooling system on the card?

What about this MSI one? It's a tad shorter, more reviews and has a 900 clock over XFX 860, make a difference, the clock speed?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127663

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Between the two the MSI has the better cooling system and will be a bit more forgiving of a smaller case. The TwinFrozer system is widely regarded as one of the best if not the best coolers put onto a card short of going to an aftermarket solution. I did recommend both the XFX and the MSI to give you a bit of choice ;). Too bad it's gone up in price but it's still a good bang for the buck card.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:28 am 

Crap...I forgot to ask!

Is my CPU going to hold back the power of a 7850 2gb? It's an Athlon II x4 650, 3.2ghz.

****EDIT***
I never did order it the other day, I got caught up with some family stuff....The MSI one went up another $20!! Damn it, lol! Is this still the best way to go since it's at $220 now? I really don't want to spend that much, but if it's still the best bang for the buck then I will...

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:23 am 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

The XFX card should be just fine. As for your CPU holding the GPU it should be just fine.