Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HTPC for gaming
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hey guys!

I have been using my PC to stream video to my PS3 for the last many many years. We started using Netflix (which we love), however if requires us to update the firmware on the PS3 all the time. My PS3 has started supporting less and less video files.

I have been contemplating just getting a WD TV box or a Samsung TV that will run the Plex app. However I have been thinking that maybe an HTPC might be fun to make and actually be a better choice.

So my questions are as follows:

How much should I expect to budget for a silentish ( Currently there is no theatre system just the TV speakers ) system that will also play games (Skyrim, civ5, and anything my 5 year old son might want to play) on my 32 inch HDTV?

What will I really be gaining over just a better box that streams? ( I am not sure what exactly an HTPC does)

Am I correct in thinking that there really is no need to upgrade something like this that often (unless I start playing more demanding games?

Thanks in advance. Also if there are things I might have missed go ahead and ask away.

Phad.

Post subject: Re: HTPC for gaming
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Sounds like you are ripe for an htpc sporting Plex or XBMC. With an i3 Ivy, 8GB of magic ram, a 7950, a stack of 3TB Barracudas all plugged into a Zotac mobo and then stuffed into a fantastic ITX case from Lian Li and Silverstone you'll be set back about a $1000 but set up for Junior to enjoy any media until he's in high school.

Post subject: Re: HTPC for gaming
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Awesome thank you! How silent would a case like that with that video card be?

Phad.