Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking to up my PC for better fps, what to go for?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

Hey guys, looking to upgrade my PC, but not sure how to go on about what card I should look for? (or maybe something else?). been looking to have better graphics and definitely FPS (since I run most games around 20fps, Guild Wars 2 runs at a sluggish 12-20fps at best).

Here is my PC, no changes made except I have added a PCI port for WiFi access.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... No=6102731

Graphics card quickie:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 220
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 4050 MB
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB

I was thinking about looking for an upgrade around $150 dollars or under, but I have been looking at stuff like the Radeon 7770 (which looks like a good medium/high end card)

Post subject: Re: Looking to up my PC for better fps, what to go for?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:02 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Welcome to the Forums!

As to your low frame rates, your graphics are integrated, which are about as low as you can go in terms of graphics. Don't let the nVidia moniker fool you, it's still integrated.

As to your choice, a 7770 would be a vast improvement. At ~$150 you might be able to swing a AMD 7850 after rebate - which would be even better.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

WELCOME! Welcome to the MaxPC FORUMS. Please make sure you don't just play a voyeur - be sure to actively contribute, advise and help someone else out. This place is only as good as it's participants - it's all about quality and timely I/O.

Skip a few lunches this week and snag a 7870, nothing less. Here's how they all stack up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:26 am 

btdog wrote:
Welcome to the Forums!

As to your low frame rates, your graphics are integrated, which are about as low as you can go in terms of graphics. Don't let the nVidia moniker fool you, it's still integrated.

As to your choice, a 7770 would be a vast improvement. At ~$150 you might be able to swing a AMD 7850 after rebate - which would be even better.

Hope this helps.

Was a bit busy over the week. I see. Would i be able to change my graphics card with my current set up (the box etc). I heard you cant change integrated ones like the one I have, so would I also have to swap out my motherboard? I was thinking about purchasing at a store (i.e from Canada Computers best buy or whatnot). Also, should I be looking for a 2GB card rather than a 1GB dedicated?

The other cards look really nice, but in doing so I will also have to up my power supply, which I dont think I need to look for a really good one right? Just any 500 watt? like this or so http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=028789

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:08 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No, not just "any" 500W PSU. Many manufacturers either bend the truth (they don't really produce the wattage at the real operating temperature) or flat out lie. Considering the amount of PSU's available, I usually just stick by recommending Seasonic, Antec, and Corsair, in that order. Though I'll let someone else find the "best kept secret" OEM.

Power supplies are a complicated beast, and often times as well review websites don't review power supplies correctly. If they don't include things like ripple voltage and really stress out the PSU in their tests, you should ignore that review at all costs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Would i be able to change my graphics card with my current set up (the box etc). I heard you cant change integrated ones like the one I have, so would I also have to swap out my motherboard? I was thinking about purchasing at a store (i.e from Canada Computers best buy or whatnot). Also, should I be looking for a 2GB card rather than a 1GB dedicated?

Let me try and answer this as easy as I can:
Yes, you can install a new GPU into your current system (and you won't have to swap out your motherboard).
You are correct that you cannot physically remove integrated graphics, but you can turn them off and use the new graphics card in its place. It's a BIOS setting - I won't go into great detail on how to do it, but it's a pretty straight-forward process.

As for the 1GB/2GB question, the 2GB does provide slightly better performance, but it will cost you - and now you're approaching 7870 and 660 level costs...so you might as well go for one of those.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:19 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The price you pay for more VRAM is usually not worthwhile. More VRAM tends to allow you to run at higher resolutions, higher MSAA settings (may not matter now that developers are using post processing AA like FXAA) and higher resolution textures. However, I run a 1GB VRAM setup and the only game to actually complain about not having enough was Max Payne 3.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 pm 

I see. I'll try to look for a certain branded PSU then, and I will see how the prices go in for the radeon cards, which I guess I will most likely look around the 7770 (which looks all right) or maybe if I can a 7870 if it goes around under 200. (currently I think there is a sale for it around 200. Maybe even the 7850 (which is about 20-30$ cheaper)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This is just me rambling, but if it's something like a 7700 series or 7800 series, I don't think adding more VRAM over 1GB would make a difference, even if you could use it. Higher resolution textures means more pixels to push. If you don't have the processing power to account for that, your FPS would take a dive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:07 am 

I see! Thanks for all the advice! I will look around 7700/7850/7870 when they go down in price, and also a decent PSU.

Just looked up my local Canada computers. Currently these two look decent on the benchmark site and pricing is all right as well.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=054422
GTX 650

GTX660
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=052893

Are they both good? I think the 650 is a good price and the benchmark is around 2700, better than the 7770.

The 660 looks all right, but the sale ends today so probably will look at either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Personally, I would say the 660 over the 650 Ti...BUT if you look at the performance and price, the ~$50 difference is probably about right.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 pm 

I see. I think I will shop for a 7700 or a 7870. Another question here. Aside from that and a new PSU, will I need a new fan? (for the Intel core i3 or other parts?) And will it be able to run even with the core being an i3?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If your PSU is around 500W or higher, you don't need a new one. However I do feel you can get away with even 400W at the minimum, but this may be cutting it close.

Most games start to get CPU bottlenecked once you go below Core i3, but that's if you're packing a top-tier graphics card. So you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
If your PSU is around 500W or higher, you don't need a new one. However I do feel you can get away with even 400W at the minimum, but this may be cutting it close.

Most games start to get CPU bottlenecked once you go below Core i3, but that's if you're packing a top-tier graphics card. So you'll be fine.

I see. Is there any recommendations for a PSU that goes well with Radeon cards that is 500watt? Mien is 300 only(!).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Stop your search and buy the Antec ECO NEO 620W. It's a rebadged Seasonic and insane killer deal @ $30.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm 

kleinkinstein wrote:
Stop your search and buy the Antec ECO NEO 620W. It's a rebadged Seasonic and insane killer deal @ $30.

EDIT:

Bought my stuff! I have a Corsair CX600 power supply, and an AMD 1 GB Sapphire HD 7850! Time to install!!!