Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help me build my first pc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 pm 

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to building computers. I have a question about the PC I would like to build, please don't make fun of me for my newb questions. :( . Anyway........
I was thinking of this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138357

with this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811154107

and then like 16 gb of used ram.

with this processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116774

what else do i need? help with actual build? also, would it be possible to install a watercooling system?
Thanks for the help in advance. And again, please explain slowly, as I am a total N00B

Post subject: Re: Help me build my first pc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Hello! I'm here to pick at your choices, but don't take them too hard :P

• The two biggest questions we ask here are: what's your budget, and what do you plan on doing with the computer?
  • While the average rating on the average rating of that motherboard is 4 stars, the general consensus I hear about BIOSTAR is that they're second-tier for motherboards. The go-to brands now and days are usually Gigabyte, ASRock, ASUS, and MSI, in that order.
  • That case is passable, but I don't know who else to recommend other than Antec in this area.
  • You don't need 16GB of RAM. 8GB at the most.
  • The processor is fairly decent

What else do you need? Hard drive and power supply at the minimum. Video card if you're going to play any game made after 2006 on decent settings. OS if you don't have one.

Can you install a water cooling system? Technically you can get a self-contained one for the CPU, but no, a traditional water cooling system won't work with that case (or most Micro-ATX cases). But it wouldn't matter: you don't need water cooling. Water cooling should only be considered for heavily overclocked top-tier systems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 pm 

Thanks, My main use for that computer would be for gaming. My budget is about $530. Any other suggestions? or any motherboards or video cards that you would recommend specifically, I would try to keep it as cheap as possible. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 pm 

Bump Any help here? With specific video card or motherboard, tryin to keep costs low