Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How many BTU's do you need? : Chart?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:22 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hey all, just posing a pretty technical question on water cooling. Let's get to the dirt:

I have a Hardware Labs Black Ice Extreme (120mm) that offers 3134 BTU rating or 919Wh. For now, it's running with a 120mm Coolermaster fan pulling the air through it (Maybe 18cfm, but i'ts dead silent. Can't find the P/N at the site, but it's on the fan:p). That's it for cooling, but I'm planning on cooling a 6800GT with a Danger Den 6800 Water Block at some point. So, with that basically said, let's start the debates!

Is 919Wh high enough to do a CPU and a graphics card? I have found no graph or simple sheet for recommending the amount of heat you'd have to remove to be effective anywhere. I have an 80mm fan on the top that I can put a Black Ice 80mm micro radiator in with it fairly easy for an extra 275Wh worth of radiator. But then you get into tubing problems (series with the other one or parallel?).

Then with that, you get into resevior problems. That's a lot of added water in the tubes and in the extra rad, so if you turn it off or on, the water level will change a lot(?). I have an Innovatek Tank-O-matic that I had planned to bring over to it, but also have a Power supply space I could use for a plexyglass tundra res (I don't like lexan, but I can block it off so I won't have to see it. I'd make a plate in the rear with a slot to check the level). But I know the tank-o-matic does good at removing air and have no idea about these bay tanks. Oh, and I could also mount it in the 5-1/2" bay, but I'd rather fill that with other stuff...it would take up my last area I have to play with. OMG, you CAN fill up a stacker with hardware!

So, you see what adding a GPU like this does to my plans and my mind!? It can basically be cured with some site or hero telling me that I don't need the added hassle of the extra radiator. I am aiming on quietness, and the only thing I want to put up with is the crossflow fan, and that is on-demand (I can kill it when I want).

(extra info: P4 550, TDX waterblock, handful of nozzles, and all my tubes are 3/8". No plans to cool the NB yet. Pump is an HPPS 12v, so I'm fine in the pumpage arena. For those about to say that the CM fan isn't enough, I have this Y.S.Tech (.pdf needed) on stand-by if so(73.4 cfm/34db's at 1800rpm). I just want to try out the CM fan because, again, it's dead quiet...it just makes a gentle breeze:p.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:37 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
you shouldnt need anything, the setup you have with the addition of vpu shouldnt change temps much if at all, our two hydrocools are rated at 200w and the cpu only uses around 100, both our setups have the same temps within 1 degree @32c, yet he is cooling a prescott and chipset. i only a northwood.

both overclocked, his a 3.0prescott @ 3.6, mine a 2.8c @ 3.4, 100% cpu,(folders and gamers).

Edit: i think cpu mag did a "modder" special issue thing that has comparisons of memory, hsf, mothers, cpus, water cooling, referigeration, and other stuff, good general info if you can find a copy. they also get into all the chipsets, and cpus, what they do or dont do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:42 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Thanks man!

I am just not too sure about how they rate radiators vs. the hardware themselves and had to ask. I know the CPU is said to run at 100w's, but I've never done the math to see what it would take to remove 100% of the heat (W/h). Sounds pretty deep and not something I want to sit here and do:p

It was kind of a pointless post as I really feel secure with that radiator. I'm cooling a 2.8 with an innovatek dual fan radiator which is rated way lower than this HW labs. I just wanted to get some info like you pointed me toward for the real science in cooling. Lately it's gotten pretty dumbed-down it seems (buy kit, put together, hit power button).

Thanks again. I'm going to search around for that stuff!