Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with first NAS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:55 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

The fact that my family is is getting more digital we have more computers with info on all of them. I was thinking of adding a NAS to back up all of are systems and info. And do other functions as well.

With that in mind I would like to have a NAS that does it all, if that is what it can do.

First off I want to be able to have a image of every computer that can be restored if there is a hardware change or something dies. This would be with win XP up to win 8. Can all the images of the computer be stored on a NAS that can be restored?

I would like it to be able to also back up all documents, pics, videos, basically anything added to any of the computers on a schedule (not programs). Some computers may not always be connected but want the documents, pics ETC to be backed up when they reconnect.

I would also like the NAS to store all video (movies and Pics) that can be shared, video streaming, music streaming, from one central computer the NAS even over the internet. To any other computer on the network or that is connected to internet.

One last question. Is there some type of hardware out that can let me access media that can let me see pics, movies etc from a NAS. To a TV, that has no computer attached. Maybe a roku with "play on" or other device.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Help with first NAS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:56 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

EasyE wrote:
First off I want to be able to have a image of every computer that can be restored if there is a hardware change or something dies. This would be with win XP up to win 8. Can all the images of the computer be stored on a NAS that can be restored?

Yes: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/67 ... overy.html Keep in mind though, you may probably only do this via hardline unless you have a Wi-Fi extender or something.

Quote:
I would also like the NAS to store all video (movies and Pics) that can be shared, video streaming, music streaming, from one central computer the NAS even over the internet. To any other computer on the network or that is connected to internet.

I don't believe a basic NAS can stream over the internet. You'll need to build a regular PC that acts as a NAS for that most likely. Could be wrong though.

Quote:
One last question. Is there some type of hardware out that can let me access media that can let me see pics, movies etc from a NAS. To a TV, that has no computer attached. Maybe a roku with "play on" or other device.

If the NAS in question supports DLNA streaming services, then yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:04 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Thanks LatiosXT

This is the NAS I am looking at.

Synology DS413j
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108123

I would set it up with RAID5 3@ 2GB drives.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

EasyE wrote:
Synology DS413j
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108123

I would set it up with RAID5 3@ 2GB drives.

Wow that is expensive, I am considering a new NAS build with HDDs included for $600~$650

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A4-3300 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($39.77 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI A55M-P33 Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($45.59 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill Line ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $615.27
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-12 09:56 EST-0500)

with freenas (the latest 8.3 version) raidz2 should give about 5Tb usable / formatted- I may wait it out so I can use 2Tb's if I can get them under $80...

The synology would be more convenient, I can't hot-swap or anything fancy :)

If you use a 3-disk raid 5, sounds a bit risky, at least get 4 total and have a hot spare (hopefully it can be set up to auto-rebuild)

Either one could stream on home lan, I use VLC for internet you have to set up some type of DynDNS / NoIP and something like a pogoplug, remotepotato app, etc just search up "nas streaming internet" or the like

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

@ rico - I really like what you did here, but my small tweak in advice would be...

kleinkinstein wrote:
I wouldn't meddle with 1.5TB spinners, just jump into 3TB drives now and gain 50% more space for a small up charge. In six months, the $250 4TB drives will be at 3TB prices and the norm for mass storage and nas solutions. Like buying a house, spend 2.5 to 3x more than your income (or in this case your intent)...make the real estate investment once. You won't regret it.