Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Sound Card
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi! I am using a old HP Pavilion a320n for homework and it's got its GPU and RAM upgraded by the previous owner. My issue with it is its sound quality is onboard and very poor which is an issue for me as I like to play music while I do school. So I am looking for a good PCI (not PCI-E) sound card for under $20. My gaming desktop uses onboard sound from an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme so I would like something close to the quality I get from it. Thanks!

BTW its not my headphones as they cost about $80 and work fine on my gaming Desktop.

Oh and since I am posting about the sound topic I was curious if I can use a Turtle Beach XP500 wired so I don't have to use batteries?

Post subject: Re: New Sound Card
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829102003 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829128003 are your best bets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 am 

I agree with the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829102003

It's $26 but it's the cheapest I would consider buying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:01 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey thanks for the suggestions guys! I was searching for a specific PC part when I noticed I had a Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1 sitting in a stack of old PCI cards! Going to give it a try tomorrow and see if it works! Down side is I have a fan laying on the bottom of the case cooling a old ATI 9550 I love to overclock as high as I can, and the sound card is gonna be in the way... :(. Oh well I'll just get a PCI slot fan or mount mine elsewhere! Thanks again! :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829102147

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:23 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

BTW I know Very Little about overclocking. I just crank the clock speeds as high as I can without crashing the computer. :D I cool my 9550 with a 3800RPM 120MM fan and Antec Formula 7 Diamond thermal. My goal it to get the old heap to play DOOM III on High. If you could show me a place where I could learn a little more about overclocking I'd appreciate it! And if you know where I could get the highest possible speed settings on a 9550 (clock speeds, mem speeds, voltages and such) that I can just punch in. And I have a old AMD, might be a Athlon 64 2.1GHZ, anyway to overclock it? Aiming for DOOM III on High and Fallout 3 to play on medium-low with the shader 2.0 mod. Well just though I'd ask! Thanks Again! :)

BTW this is a computer I don't care a lot for. It's just to screw with and do homework on. I game on a GTX 580 so please don't be like "you should just buy a new computer!" I just want to push this heap as far as humanly possible just for fun! :D

I AM ALSO GOING TO POST THIS IN THE OVERCLOCKING SECTION AND CONTINUE IT FROM THERE SINCE SOUND CARDS AND OVERCLOCKING SEEM LIKE DIFFERENT CATIGORIES