Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Adding heatsinks to video card memory.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:42 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If I were to get some heatsinks for the memory of my video card what type of adhesive should I use?

Also I have an old HSF from a 750Mhz cpu laying around and was wondering if using that instead of the stock HSF of the video card would be a significant increase in cooling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:54 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Many RAMsinks are self-adhesive. If you're getting one that isn't, look at Arctic Silver's thermal epoxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:18 pm 

If your willing to do a little work you can always use a dremel, and chop up any old heatsinks you may have lying around, and attach those to your vid ram.

I used an old AMD 2200+ stock heatsink, chopped it up and attached them to the ram on my Xtasy 9600.

If thermal pads or adhesive are not available to you, you could go the route I went.

use some Artic Silver 5 compound in the center, with a VERY small drop of superglue on each corner of each ram chip. You gotta get the ramsinks on there fairly quickly, and make sure they're on there straight before the glue dries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:21 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Thanks guys.

How removable are the heatsinks once they are on? I'd like to be able transfer them to a new card if the new card doesn't have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:47 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Satchboy wrote:
Thanks guys.

How removable are the heatsinks once they are on? I'd like to be able transfer them to a new card if the new card doesn't have them.

I've never had a problem removing self-adhesive RAMsinks, but I also haven't had a need for them very often. Arctic Silver's site lists their epoxy as permanent, so I'd venture a guess that it would be pretty difficult to remove. Same should hold true for SuperGlue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:24 am 

Satchboy wrote:
Thanks guys.

Yeah, unless your feeling EXTREMELY brave, superglue is a permanent thing.
Trying to remove ramsinks being held on with superglue could have BAD results. That's why I never plan on trying to remove mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am planning to do this but not sure which side of the ram the heat sinks go - gpu side, the opposite or both sides? I have a 9600xt (@555/321) and it looks like you could add heat sinks to ram on both sides of the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:12 pm 

Well, every ram chip is utilized, and therefore produces heat. Slap those puppy's on every ram chip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:00 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Got a brand of sinks in mind? I've heard good things about the tweakmonsters over the years. Here's a good selection

I'd go with either Arctic Alumina or silver epoxy. You can get away fine with the cheaper Alumina which is $4 cheaper, however...it's just four bucks;)

I screwed up a Voodoo2 with trying to get a fan off with superglue. They didn't come with fans on the two chips, so I superglued the corners and put some cheapo paste in there. I tried to get one off and pulled the damned graphite stuff that the chips are covered in right off. Nasty.

I'd try to rig some retention device to put the fan on. Now that all cards come with fans, they all have mounting holes. The last one I even played with the fan was a Voodoo3 2000. It had two holes and matched up perfectly to a 60mm(I think) fan. So, I just bolted it on with some springs and a nylon washer on the back side. Don't want to put direct tension on the bolt as just a little too many turns in can crack the card. Sounds fun!

Post subject: You Could try This
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:43 am 

What I did was this....I had a couple old cpu heatsinks that I chopped up to fit on my memory....I then took a hot glue gun and dabbed a little on the edges of the heatsink and stuck it ....werks like a dream.....I was able to softmod a 9800 to 9800 XT...I was not able to get it to work without ramsinks. By the way...they come off real easy too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:10 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Just remember that, uh, heat melts the glue. One day, while you're playing a game, don't be surprised if you hear a "ker-plunk" as that chunk of metal falls off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:20 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Chumly wrote:
Just remember that, uh, heat melts the glue. One day, while you're playing a game, don't be surprised if you hear a "ker-plunk" as that chunk of metal falls off.

Is there a glue that stands up to the heat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'm not sure. You may even be safe if the glue isn't touching the core/heatspreader. I would just feel more safe knowing that the unit is being held on physically with some hardware...that's just me.

I'd say superglue, but you still have the issue of heat expansion/contraction that may weaken the bond at some point. But, that old Voodoo card with superglue didn't budge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:21 pm 

Some of the more major companies that produce superglue, normally list the maximum hit resistance of the glue. The ramsinks on my latest vid card were attached with this...

http://www.krazyglue.com/products/produ ... ?prodID=25

Here is the Material Safety Data Sheet on this glue.....

http://www.krazyglue.com/products/mkg0824_a.htm

Basically, here are the main points that should inform you wether to use it or not.....

KrazyGlueMSDS wrote:
9. Physical and Chemical Properties

Percent Volatiles Not determined
pH @ 25 C Not available
Specific Gravity 1.05
Appearance Colorless liquid
Autoignition Temperature 485 deg C
Boiling Point 62 deg C (5 mm Hg)
Vapor Density (Air=1) > 1
Vapor Pressure, mm Hg @ 20 C 0.13
Evaporation Rate (Butyl Acetate=1) < 1
Upper/Lower Flammable Limits Not available
Up/Lower Explosive Limits, % by Vol Not available
Flash Point 83 deg C (CC)
Freezing Point < -20 deg C
Odor Irritating
Odor Threshold, ppm Not available
Solubility in Water Negligible
Coefficient of Water/Oil Distrib. Not applicable

10. Stability and Reactivity

Normally stable, but may become unstable at high temperatures or may
react with water.

* Conditions to Avoid:

Exposure to heat, flame and incompatibles.

as long as the heat conditions produced by the ram are within the limits tolerated by the glue; according to the MSDS, you should be fine.

Every single one of the products made by Krazy Glue, come with a MSDS on their site. I would imagine that any company that produces adhesives, and has a product site, should also have the MSDS's provided on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The boiling point is 62C! That's not much head room.

Maybe I'll look into some kind of clamp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:47 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Satchboy wrote:
The boiling point is 62C! That's not much head room.

Maybe I'll look into some kind of clamp.
honestly, i would use either one of the arctic silver epoxies, they are made to stand the heat as well as transfer it well. the best sinks i saw on the site chumly posted are the two ones on the sides of the first row, the frozencpu ones and the ocz ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:31 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Yeah I would use some arctic silver epoxy like Chumly and athlon11 said.

I made my own 'sinks out of a scrap piece of aluminum and used arctic aluminia epoxy on them. Worked perfectly with no problems. Though if you try to remove them you would probably rip the chip right off the board. :!:

You can probably make the epoxy less permanent by mixing less of the glue part and more of the thermal compound part, at least I think that might work, though I haven't tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What about some kind of clamp. I think I remember seeing pics of something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:20 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

It's easier to make clamps if you have a bunch of spare parts and gizmos. Otherwise, the dig for the right part for your creation can get a bit scary.

Something pretty simple to come up with is a heatsink and a fan bigger than what the HS calls for. The fan's mounting ears should overhand the HS, but line up with the mounting holes. Then, you sandwich the Heatsink in between the Chip and the fan using long all-thread type stuff or bolts (and a couple nuts obviously). Just don't over tighten it, and use a non-conductive washer (also gives the board some cushion if you don't have springs). Some cards only have 2 holes to use. But you can survive. Very basic, maybe ugly...but it works ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:54 am 

heh, oke... i have a better suggestion for you. the arctic silver thermal adhesive is indeed permanent (what they mean by that is if you try to remove it, you're very likely to rip the ram off of the board it holds so well). the way that a lot of people "get around" this is by mixing it with regular arctic silver compound 50/50 solution. this works out well and keeps thermal conductivity excellent, it also makes it possible to remove (note it's still gonna be a PITA to remove, but it shouldn't damage anything... that's a good thing, no worries of it falling off suddenly, lol).

for the heatsink, at only 750mhz you sure it's worth it? most of them were aluminum and didn't cool very well. if it's copper, go for it, but i would really suggest getting a copper heatsink if it's aluminum. they can be had for pretty cheap. be sure to lap it at any rate, GPU's really like lapped heatsinks. might even want to lap the ramsinks if you're feeling a little extra sensitive to details.