Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CPU not working and other stuff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:59 am 

Hi guys.

I have just started building my own PC and I actually do Computer Science in my International Baccalaureate.

I have a friend who tried to build his own PC, but got bored, so he dumped the stuff with me. I am deciding to give it a go, but I do not want to spend too much on it at first because I don't even know if it is going to work.

I will list the stuff he gave me:

Intel Pentium e6300 2.8ghz
MSI micro star ms-7046 Motherboard
Some delta CPU fan
ATI sapphire HD 3850

Anyway, I have an old PC that was pre built when my parents bought it. I am fitting all the stuff into there.

I have already found out that the Mobo that my friend gave me doesn't support the e6300, but the mobo in my old pc, which is a foxconn 945g7ma-8ks2, should support it.

I have set it all up to output to a vga monitor, but without the sapphire hd3850, because that can be installed later.

My problem is the fact that when I put the new processor in the socket of the foxconn, and start the pc up bare, nothing displays to the monitor. The LED on the monitor just flashes green.

Also, when I put in the old processor which came with and worked with the foxconn, the computer seems to start and give the short POST beep, and then displays the foxconn logo on the screen, but then immediately shuts down. It might be worth noting that when I press the power button, it takes at least 2 seconds for the cpu and PSU fan to start spinning, and they spin fast, but then they immediately go right down and spin continuously, but slow.

I have tried this with two 350w PSUs, which should support just the cpu without HDD etc.

I am just doing this as an experience, and it is not that important considering I got the stuff more or less for free. If this setup could work it would be great, but I am thinking of going all out and buying a hex-core AMD with motherboard for £130 as a last resort.

If anyone needs clarification or photos, then just ask.

Thanks,

Chris

Post subject: Re: CPU not working and other stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:11 pm 

Nobody?

Post subject: Re: CPU not working and other stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:47 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

To boot that E6300 on that motherboard, you first need to update the bios. Do it with the previous proc.