Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Time to update Anti-Virus / Security Suite software...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:59 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So, it's coming to that time of year when I need to upgrade/renew my security suite software... currently I'm using NIS 2012, which has been OK for me (although it does get in the way sometimes). So I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm seriously considering going back to ESET Smart Security (although I want to get the newest version they have, which is currently Version 5, but have a feeling they may be coming out with Version 6 soon).

I also get a free copy of Norton Security Suite (which is pretty much the same as Norton 360) from my ISP (which is Comcast), so I'm considering that since it's free with my comcast service.

My biggest concern, as always, is intrusion protection (a very good firewall) and viruses/worms/malware protection (virus protection). I don't care so much about email protection, identity theft, or parental controls (since my email is done online, and I have no need for parental controls). So, a good firewall and anti-virus/malware/worm software is the key features I'm looking for). I also don't really need the "system clean-up" tools either that some include (I do this manually on my own with my own apps).

Any ideas? Is the comcast Security Suite any good? Should I go back to ESET Smart Security 5 (even though MaxPC gave it a 6/10 and NIS a 9/10)?

Post subject: Re: Time to update Anti-Virus / Security Suite software...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:23 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Did'nt we already discuss this. Or are you simply fishing for a different answer?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

People still pay for antivirus software? News to me with all the great free ones out there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I was just wanting to see if anything changed in the past few weeks. That and I didn't ever see the end of the other post. But, I do need a good suite because this will be for a business laptop, where security is more of a concern over speed (for the most part).