Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Help/Advise with Power supply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:18 pm 

Sorry if this double posts but I don't see the OP anywhere.

Hello everyone this is my first post and I was wondering if I could get some help/advise with my PC. I have a Dell Inspision 580 mini-tower and am looking to throw a new PSU and graphics card. I am going to put in a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Superclocked and will need to upgrade my PSU to do so.

My System is stock from how I got it from Dell, 1TB, Windows 7 64-bit, 8gb RAM(4-2gb sticks), Sandybridge i5(3.2Ghz@ 650), NVIDIA gt 220, and whatever Dell throws in for a motherboard. My Current PSU is 300w 18amp(12-volt rail) and this card requires a 400w min 20 amp to run properly. I am considering buying a Corsair CX430(430w 32amp.

My question is, will this PSU fit in my case and will it work?

I have heard stories of Dell motherboards frying when upgrading power supplies, although I have no proof of this and is just hearsay.

If any would could help with my questions and offer any advise to me, if I am going in the completely wrong direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Just to let you know why I am considering this is that I have purchased the Roxio gamecapture pro and the software locks up my PC. This is the only time that my PC has ever locked up. It will lock up during editing, during capture, and while the software is open and my XBOX is idle. So I suspect that my GFX card may be the main cause of this, if anyone knows anything about this and would like to weigh in on this subject as well, please feel free.

Thanks