Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Troubles with new build
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I just finished a build and I can't get the computer to boot. I press the power button and the CPU fan and the case fans spin up (and continue to spin), but the screen never comes on (so I can't choose to enter BIOS or boot from a disk or anything) There are no error lights going off on the motherboard or anything. I'm sure the connection to the monitor is good. It's connected via displayport from the motherboard to the monitor. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? I'm fairly confident that I did a good job with all my internal connections (CPU, RAM, PCI cards, SATA, power cords), and the lack of an error light leaves me a bit lost.

Here's the setup
Asus P88Z77 V Pro
Intel i7 3770K
Coolermaster Hyper 212 cpu fan
32 GB ram (4x8) corsair vengeance
EVGA 670 GTX (primary)
EVGA 470 GTX (secondary/physx)
Creative xfi sound card
PC Power and Cooling 750 watt PSU
Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256 GB
4 various HDDs
DVD burner
Bluray burner
card reader

Thanks!!!

Post subject: Re: Troubles with new build
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Your videocards disable the onboard displayport. Try plugging into your 670GTX or remove both video cards and leave the displayport into the motherboard.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you're concerned about not using DisplayPort, it's pretty much useless to use as just a display connector. It has no real advantages over DVI.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:05 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I originally plugged it into the 670 and it didn't work. I assumed the 670 wouldn't work until I had installed drivers so I switched to the motherboard. I'll switch it back but it won't solve my problem. Is there anything else that jumps to mind?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:57 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Is your monitor plugged in and turned on? I know, I know, but I had to ask. You never know.

Do this...re-seat the ram, but use only two dimms. That Vengeance is 1600 or less, right?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm pretty sure it's 1600 but I'm at work now and cannot check. The monitor is find because I had just used it to check out a second build I'm doing. If there is an issue with memory my board is supposed to light up specifically saying the memory is an issue, but I got nothing. I can still try that tonight, though, if that makes the most sense.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Remove all components from your motherboard (except for CPU as your probably already have that smushed in), ensure monitor is plugged into motherboard (as thats now the only available connector), you should now be able to boot into BIOS. From here connect things one at a time. Start with drives, then RAM (1 stick at a time), then finally videocard (though you might have to swap monitor cables to the video card port now). Report back results.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I got everything working. I took everything out and put it in one component at a time. I think the problem was the ram wasn't seated properly. I don't like how the ram is seated with my motherboard and I think that was the issue. I also learned that display port didn't work :-/ only dvi. I'm guessing I need to install drivers