Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Home Media Cloud Backup Server
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:08 pm 

I'm thinking about building a box/buy a box to conduct automatic backups and serve as personal cloud storage. I'm not sure what to look for in terms of specs as well as software. I've heard of everything from WHS to all types of alternatives but I don't know whats good in terms of features and worth the money. My home is hardwired with cat5. I want to be able to stream movies from a machine to my television in another room, allow my laptop and desktop PCs to access the same files, and do regularly scheduled backups.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Home Media Cloud Backup Server
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:14 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you don't want to dabble in Linux world for this, you can buy Windows Home Server for $50.

As far as hardware goes, you don't have to spend a lot of money on high performance parts, as you're not servicing thousands of requests a second. You can even get away with an Atom, but a Pentium Dual Core should suffice.

And you'll probably want a SATA add-in card to give you as many ports as possible.

Post subject: Re: Home Media Cloud Backup Server
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:03 pm 

What would be the difference between WHS and other technoligies like nas boxes, networked drives, etc? Does one type of server or nas provide a better experience over others? I know i can find a lot of this online but i wanted to get user opinions. Tired of reading about a new machine and then being disappointed.