Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M for gaming?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:49 pm 

So im building a new rig for gaming, but this time i want a htpc case. So i decided on the Fractal design node 605, with atx, micro-atx and mini-itx for factors. I wanted to go standard atx with it, turned out however that a optical drive will only fit with a micro atx or mini tx mobo. So intead of the regular size asrock extreme4 mobo i saw there is a smaller micro-atx version called ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M. Are there any drawbacks with using that for a gaming rig instead of the atx version?
Im not really that into tweaking the rig, so i will probably never use dual gpus or anything, at most ill overclock the cpu a little. Going for core i5 3570k, and a radeon 7950. Anything im overlooking?

Post subject: Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M for gaming?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:21 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

The only real drawback is the Realtek LAN chipset, which IMO is the worst LAN chipset on the planet... Vs Broadcom (found on the full ATX version) or even Marvel, you can expect up to 4 times the latency. Not so great if you're a big-time online gamer. But ASRock does bundle it with XFast-LAN software which may be able to tweak it better than the default drivers.

Post subject: Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M for gaming?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:57 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

In that case, the Node, you're gonna be stuck with only a single gpu, so get the the Pro4-M instead. It's the same board for less coin and one PCIE 3.0.

Indeed, the Xfast is fast. It is licensed from cFosSpeed (in much the same way that ASUS' ROG GameFirst software is), ASRock has included it as a software driven networking utility as part of their software bundle. This utility allows users to decide what has priority over the networking protocol. Should a gamer ever decide that he needs to heavily download while playing online games, this can be managed here. On the other hand, perhaps VoIP needs priority, or media streaming tools. XFast LAN also allows for port management of the network, as well as traffic analysis and monitoring.