Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbe Needs Help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:50 pm 

Hi, I need some help. I want to OC my Athlon XP 2500+. Where do I start? I have never OC befor so please if you're going to help please make it easy to understand. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:00 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

A little knowledge background would help determining how "Overclocking for Dummies" we have to get.

How much do you know about making changes in the BIOS? Do you know what a BIOS is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:07 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

www.overclockers.com

Look on the left of the page for how-to's & tips, then check the CPU Database to see what you may reasonbly expect from your chip/cooling setup

Post subject: Thank you for replying.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:10 am 

Satchboy wrote:
A little knowledge background would help determining how "Overclocking for Dummies" we have to get.

How much do you know about making changes in the BIOS? Do you know what a BIOS is?

I now know a fare bit about the basic input/output system after doing alot of research. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:27 pm 

One of the safest ways to go is to bump up your FSB one notch at a time and see how much gain you can get. After that you'll have to bump up your core voltage for your proc a couple of notches to get more fsb jumps. Keep in mind that this is going to generate more heat so you better have good cooling especially with the Athlons. You may also have to increase you DDR voltage too. It may sound like a lot but do more researching and when you get to it, take things slow and gradual. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:52 pm 

viper2two wrote:
One of the safest ways to go is to bump up your FSB one notch at a time and see how much gain you can get. After that you'll have to bump up your core voltage for your proc a couple of notches to get more fsb jumps. Keep in mind that this is going to generate more heat so you better have good cooling especially with the Athlons. You may also have to increase you DDR voltage too. It may sound like a lot but do more researching and when you get to it, take things slow and gradual. Good luck!

Thank you viper2two. I have bumped up the FSB and now its running at 2.03Ghz but if I go any higher the computer does not run is there anything I can do, is this what you were talking about when you said I would have to bumb up the core voltage? If so how do I go about doing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:04 pm 

There should be a setting on the same screen where you bumped up the FSB. It will mostly likely say VCORE. Be very careful since now you are playing directly with your processor and how much juice it is getting. Bump it up one notch at a time until your system runs stable. You can tell that by playing a detailed game, or by various benchmarks. Just don't go crazy with it. Not all systems will overclock the same. If you have to bump your VCORE way up it probably isn't worth it.

Side note:
Overclocking really is like a car engine. The faster you go the more gas (VCORE) it needs. But if you go too fast you can blow the engine (CPU)!

Your welcome and have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:45 pm 

viper2two wrote:
There should be a setting on the same screen where you bumped up the FSB. It will mostly likely say VCORE. Be very careful since now you are playing directly with your processor and how much juice it is getting. Bump it up one notch at a time until your system runs stable. You can tell that by playing a detailed game, or by various benchmarks. Just don't go crazy with it. Not all systems will overclock the same. If you have to bump your VCORE way up it probably isn't worth it.

Side note:
Overclocking really is like a car engine. The faster you go the more gas (VCORE) it needs. But if you go too fast you can blow the engine (CPU)!

Your welcome and have fun!

Thanks again. But the screen were i bumbed up my FSB displays the voltage but I can not adjust them. Any Ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

www.google.com

always a good start

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:54 am 

Sorry but I'm not familiar with AMD boards and chipsets. I'm sure there is a way to do it but I have no clue as to how to go about it with your setup. I've got an Intel rig. So good luck and keep researching!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:45 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

bump it 'til it burns! Then don't go so far on the next one;)