It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming headset
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:51 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Would these be worth the money?
Thermaltake

or would it be worth it more to save a little bit more money and go for something a little more expensive such as...
Corsair

Would I notice that much of a difference between the two?
I'm really looking for a wireless headset, I really hate cables...haha. I've been rockin Turtle Beach's for the past four years.

Post subject: Re: Gaming headset
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:00 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I'm not the one to advise, since I despise gaming with a headset. But take toss your retinas at page 68, it's flowery but gives some options and directional opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I have gone through a lot of headsets and found all of the brands I have used are lacking in build quality. It seems the headbands break on a lot of them or the wire develops a short. Currently I am using a Corsair 1500 and the microphone went out. Instead of buying a whole new headset I purchased a Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone for under $9.00. I clip the mic to the Corsair wire and everyone in my WoW raid group can hear me fine over Ventrillo.

When the headphone part of my headset goes out I am going to purchase a decent pair of headphones like the Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones and match them with a clip-on mic.

I realize that I am going to be missing the various effects that a gaming headset can offer and I am going to have two cords going to my computer instead of just one but the value of my option is worth the hassle for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Here some things to consider: What makes a gaming headset any better than a normal headset? Do you require a microphone? Would you consider simply a desk mic or do you need to walk around and talk?

I would also stay away from "true surround sound" headsets. While I'm certain you can pick up directional cues, trying to cram 4+ speakers in a 120mm space isn't going to bode well for sound quality. And to be honest, as much as I like surround sound, it's not really a deal breaker anyway when it comes to games. At least for me. As in I have to actually pay attention to what's going on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:25 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I like this ^ advice. Get yourself a real set of audio cans and leave the "gaming" headphones for some other lacktard. Look no further than the Sennheiser HD598, Beyerdynamic DT-990 or the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900...all easily < 3 Franklins. Personally, I can vouch and swear by the Sennheiser quality, inside and out, I own the HD280 Pro and PXC-450. Both are fantabulous.