Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Low budget PC
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:16 am 

I am looking to build a new PC. It will occasionally be used for games (but I don't care if they're run at 1 zillion fps in ultra-wowza resolution), but not very often.

I would like some basic video editing and DVD writing capability.

My budget is less than $750, including shipping for parts. I would prefer to avoid Intel parts if at all possible, but if not, that's OK. I have the following items that I plan to recycle (reuse) into this machine, unless someone makes a cogent argument why I shouldn't (most likely directed at the HDD?):

Recycle List
Monitor
Modem
NIC
Soundblaster Live with LiveDrive
Keyboard/Mouse
Windows XP
120 GB PATA HDD
60 GB PATA HDD
IEEE 1394 card

I think I need the following:

MoBo
CPU
Memory
VidCard (I'd appreciate guidance on whether a separate card is really needed for my purposes)
Case/PS
DVD writer
Anything else?

Its been four years since I built a PC, so all advice is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:07 pm 

how big is the monitor, for video editing you want a bigger monitor, who knows how detailed your editing is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:17 pm 

Monitor is 17 inch. The video editing is home movie editing only, nothing fancy.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:21 pm 

you'll want a video card. Even if your not playing games,You'll need a decent video card for video editing, not great, but decent. i would also shoot for a case/ps combo. Otherwise, don't skimp too much on components, cause you'll be pissed if crappy stuff fails, and then you have to spend even more money.

Post subject: Re: Low budget PC
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:26 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Albatross wrote:
My budget is less than $750, including shipping for parts. I would prefer to avoid Intel parts if at all possible, but if not, that's OK. I have the following items that I plan to recycle (reuse) into this machine, unless someone makes a cogent argument why I shouldn't (most likely directed at the HDD?):

MoBo $100 to $150
CPU ---- $200 939 AMD 64 3200
Memory - $82 1 gig = Mushkin - 2x512 pc3200 Cas Latency: 2.5
VidCard - $200
Case/PS
DVD writer
Anything else?

NIC - usually built into board
Soundblaster Live with LiveDrive - Integrated sound may be better than this card
IEEE 1394 card - built into board

As you see, I'm estimating. The mobo can be found for a little over $100 if you want an Athlon 939 Nforce 3 board with agp. If you want something with PCI-e, then the price goes up. The cheapest at newegg is $132, an Asus, which I wouldn't suggest due to tech support.

I can suggest cases, but have no clue what you like. Is there anything you require from a case?

Post back if it matters that you go PCI-e or will you go for agp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:41 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Venice Core (Rev. E) CPU $151 shipped

Chaintech VNF4/Ultra Nforce 4 Ultra mobo $85.50 shipped

1GB (2x 512MB) Corsair Value Series RAM (CAS 2.5) $83 shipped

Chaintech 6600 (Vanilla) PCI-Express w/128MB 128Bit DDR Memory. $121.50 shipped

NEC 3520A (Beige) 16x DVD+R, 16x DVD-R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 4x DVD+R Dual Layer, 48x CD-R, 24x CD-RW, 48x CD-ROM, 16x DVD-ROM $54 shipped

Maxtop Signature Series ATX Steel Case (No PSU) $47.50 shipped

Thermaltake 420w PSU $46 shipped

Thermaltake Venus 7 HeatSink and 70mm Fan $24 shipped.

Vantec 120mm Case Fan (for rear exhaust) $17 shipped

Vantec 60mm Case Fan (for cooling HDDs) $11.50 shipped

Total Cost: $641 USD, shipping included :)

Dan O.

Edited for clarification. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:41 am 

My thanks to both of you for your genius replies. A few questions:

Am I right in thinking that I don't need a SATA HDD for a while? The HDDs I'll be using are both ATA/100.

What is the difference between nForce3 and nForce4 on the 939 boards?

If I'm not planning to overclock anything (my apologies if this is sacrilege in these fora), do I need all of the fans?

It seems like PCIe is the wave of the future as far as graphics are concerned, yes? If so, then to eek out as much performance/life out of this thing, I think I'm better off going with PCIe instead of AGP. Agree?

As far as case goes, I have no interest in anything that looks like a samurai head or some sort of alien. I'm pretty much a khakis and polo kind of guy and this machine will go in the office and be used mostly by my wife.

Again, thanks for the input and continued help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:04 am 
Northwood
Northwood

hi albatross,

AGP is phasing out and its better to go with PCI-e indeed. one differ between the nforce3 and the nforce4 motheroboards is that nforce3 is still using agp while on the other hand, nforce4 uses pci-e and not only that, nforce4 supports sli-mode for graphics cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:35 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Albatross wrote:
Am I right in thinking that I don't need a SATA HDD for a while? The HDDs I'll be using are both ATA/100.

Yeah, there's no real advantage to SATA right now other than it's easier to wire and allows for better air-flow.

Albatross wrote:
What is the difference between nForce3 and nForce4 on the 939 boards?

The primary difference is that Nforce 4 has PCI-Express, Nforce 3 does not.

Also, Nforce 4 has SATA 3.0Gb/s

Albatross wrote:
If I'm not planning to overclock anything (my apologies if this is sacrilege in these fora), do I need all of the fans?

I'm no longer sure which fans you should buy. Newegg seems to have botched up that item listing. The photos show the same case that I bought last year, the Signature Series II (grey), but the Manufactuer's link and model number show something different.

I'm waiting on the Newegg Webmaster for a response on this.

Albatross wrote:
It seems like PCIe is the wave of the future as far as graphics are concerned, yes? If so, then to eek out as much performance/life out of this thing, I think I'm better off going with PCIe instead of AGP. Agree?

Yeah, buying a 9800 Pro would cost you about the same amount, but it will be a much poorer perfomer.

Not to mention, the next generation of graphics cards may not support AGP at all.

Albatross wrote:
As far as case goes, I have no interest in anything that looks like a samurai head or some sort of alien. I'm pretty much a khakis and polo kind of guy and this machine will go in the office and be used mostly by my wife.

Did you look at the case I linked you to? I've still got to figure out if it's really the Signature Series II case, or some other case. I'm waiting on the Newegg Webmaster on this one.

Albatross wrote:
Again, thanks for the input and continued help.

No problem. ;)
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

rougelander wrote:
you'll want a video card. Even if your not playing games,You'll need a decent video card for video editing, not great, but decent. i would also shoot for a case/ps combo. Otherwise, don't skimp too much on components, cause you'll be pissed if crappy stuff fails, and then you have to spend even more money.

a $50 video card is more than sufficient for this purpose. decent by quality? sure! decent by power? unneeded, all work is done by the cpu for video editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:43 am 

Belboz99, I did take a look at the case you suggested and since my only real area of expertise is on aesthetics, it passed with flying colors. My case comments in my preceding post were directed to Blondie's question.

I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know what newegg's webmaster tells you.

Regards and thanks.