Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Refurb...?
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:49 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am looking at buying the logitech z-2200 as their price of 65 dollars with free shipping is very appealing.... But its refurbished.... :?

I ran a search through pricegrabber.com (courtesy of josh norem) and i found them at justdeals.com

Now... They say they are like new and what not.... What kind of quality will I be getting? The only refurb unit I have ever bought is a creative muvo and it looked brand new except for the packaging which I dont care about...

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:56 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Looking at Price Grabber they got a decent write up, but going to reseller ratings, it's a different story. The savings is pretty decent- $123.52 vs. $64.95, free shipping. It says "factory refurbished". I don't know, it's a tough call, the seller that has it new has a pretty bad review. Since the reviews are mixed, you could give the refurbs a try, worst case they refund your money. I also looked on ebay- speaker search, that same refurb place is selling it as a buy it now $66.95. I think I'd feel safer buying it from ebay as long as his feedback is ok.

I also went to google and found listings on the Froogle side. Next, I went over to
Fry's
Newegg
Best Buy
Comp USA
and Circuit City, none have them refurbed or on clearance, but I did come up with other Logitech speakers.

It's a tough decision, either you chance the only guy that has them refurbed, or you pick a different set of speakers. You can also wait a week or so, who knows. Sorry I couldn't help more....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:19 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I appreciate the input...

But the seller on ebay is justdeals... the same seller found using pricegrabber.....

so... i guess go for it ya?

who would pay the postage for me to return? i cant find it on the site...

thx once again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:37 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

emachine wrote:
I appreciate the input...

But the seller on ebay is justdeals... the same seller found using pricegrabber.....

That's what I said-
Quote:
I also looked on ebay- speaker search, that same refurb place is selling it as a buy it now $66.95. I think I'd feel safer buying it from ebay as long as his feedback is ok.

so yeah, he is listed on Price grabber & Ebay, out of the 2 places, I'd say your safer with ebay. As I said, read his ebay feedback.

emachine wrote:
so... i guess go for it ya?

who would pay the postage for me to return? i cant find it on the site...

thx once again....

It's up to you, if you absolutly have to have these speakers. Email him from that ebay auction to ask. You would probably have to pay return shipping if there is a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:48 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I personally don't like to buy refurbished products, especially electronics. I only way I would do so is if the item is refurbished from the manufacture or authorized dealers, and that there is a warranty provided for the product. I have seen some pretty good deals on refurb lappys from Micron, and they last a good 5 years or so. So like Blondie said Ebay is a better option to get those speakers providing the return policy works out in your favor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You get what you pay for.

When it comes to refurb, I've bought some from dealerships, and had no trouble. It looks used, but works fine and nothing has crapped out yet.

Private sale? I'd stick with e-bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:27 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

E-Bay'ers are hard to please. I just ran through justdeal's comments and none really pointed to bad products clearly. Mouse wouldn't connect, headset that you couldn't chat on, drivers not working...all could be user error. Make sure you read the conditions listed in the auction for the refurbs and see if you agree with them.

Refurbs in themselves mean very little to me. In fact, I love that table at bestbuy or where ever reselling returns. That's all refurb really means...It's been returned for some reason or another. Weather it was actually broke to begin with can't be stated. Sometimes it just means a part is missing. Other times a customer didn't want it and exchanged it. Or it could also mean the customer couldn't get it to work, returned it, the company checked it and it passed, and now it's a refurb. The real part "refurb" to look at is the product brand themselves. Logitech isn't spitting a lot of junk parts out there and this could be just a product returned for no real reason at all, and is in perfect working order.

Speakers are a pretty physical item, with just the control pod being digital. If a speaker is physically damaged, he has to state that. If the Pod doesn't turn on or isn't functional, he has to say so. Now, if it won't hook up digitally and only works on analog, then perhaps they can get away with not saying so.

I've purchased several refurb products and been fairly happy. I've only hurt myself once on a refurb. It was a Rockford Fosgate component set at ubid.com in 2000, and one of the driver cones seperated after a summer of use and I got them wet. I assume it went back for the same thing, and they just re-applied the glue and sold it as refurb. If that wasn't the case, then I couldn't find anything else to point to being a refurb at all. All I had to do is find another driver...no big deal.

Of course, what you get from ebay can be sold on ebay. If you get it and aren't happy, ebay it back to someone. As an individual, you don't have to say "refurb" and can just repeat the "like new" quote. Just inform them that you bought it on ebay and want something else, just incase they dig through your history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:58 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

So, did you do the buy it now?