I've come to the conclusion that I need a dedicated server for myself. It'll have to be an all-in-one box that supports all my needs. That means being
- a file server
- a database server running MS-SQL
- a development server that runs code version control (Subversion), IIS for doing .net web development and vmware so I can run other OSes like FreeBSD, CentOS, solaris, etc
- a backup server for all the other computers in my network
Probabbly 90% of it's use will be file/backup work
I have a copy of Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium w/ 5 CALs so that'll be the OS. Thanks goes to Microsoft for giving me free copy for being a member of the Microsoft Partner program.
Ok enough of the blabbing... here's the real question.
I'm looking at 3 options for the the bases of the system:
Biostar M7VIG 400 Socket A mATX MB w/AMD Sempron 2200+ CPU
Biostar U8668D Socket 478 mATX MB w/Celeron 1.8GHz CPU
PC CHIPS M701G V1.1 Socket 370 SIS 635 mATX
and I slap in a celery 700mhz that I have laying around for now. down the road I could upgrade to a Tualatin.
I'd like some advice on the best option for the system I've described above or perhaps other options that might be avaliable.
The main requirement are:
- keep the budget tiny. I'd like to keep the mobo/cpu combo under 100 bucks.
- mobo must have onboard video and lan
- mobo support atleast 1gig of ram but 2gigs would be better (ddr preffered)
- provide for some future upgrades should the budget allow it(more ram and a cpu speed boost)