Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: silent computer under $500?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:44 pm 

I just read the the article "How to build a really, really, really silent PC" from Maximum PC. I was very impressed by the build, but I think it costs a little bit too much. ($1600 for only a 2Ghz system) :shock:

Is it possible to build a silent PC under $500? :wink:

Post subject: Re: silent computer under $500?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:58 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

MWplayer wrote:
I just read the the article "How to build a really, really, really silent PC" from Maximum PC. I was very impressed by the build, but I think it costs a little bit too much. ($1600 for only a 2Ghz system) :shock:

Well, the Pentium M is nothing like the Pentium 4. 2GHz for the PM is like... 3.4GHz for the P4 - except without the obnoxious temps and noise.

MWplayer wrote:

People were thinking about building one based on the Mobile Athlon XP. Couple one of those with a Motherboard that supports the processor, like the Abit NF7-S, and a quiet heatsink (like the Zalman 7000's) and you'll have the foundation for a cheaper build.

Post subject: Re: silent computer under $500?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:16 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

OCNoob wrote:
MWplayer wrote:

People were thinking about building one based on the Mobile Athlon XP. Couple one of those with a Motherboard that supports the processor, like the Abit NF7-S, and a quiet heatsink (like the Zalman 7000's) and you'll have the foundation for a cheaper build.

We just got parts togather for my step son. We needed to do it on the cheap since his cash is limited right now. This also had to be done pretty quick since the one I gave him to use blew the power supply.

He went to newegg & got the MGE Viper - which got decent reviews except on a few things. It wouldn't be my choice for a case & had he realized the size of it, wouldn't have bought it, but for the money, according to the reviews, it's a decent case. It was hard wiring it- I'm here in NJ, he's in the Carolina's. I spent countless hours on the phone with him trying to guide him on the USB & Firewire wires as they are not one or 2 harnesses but single wires. PITA

The mobo was a Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2 - $50- which I don't suggest unless you have spare parts. The processor was an Athlon XP 2700+ - $86.99. This is OEM so it didn't come with the heatsink fan. The ram we bought him was mushkin 512MB PC3200 for $40.55. We would have liked to have gotten him 2 sticks, but it wasn't happening right now.

I had parts laying around that I sent him- the heatsink fan, a CDRW drive & floppy plus IDE cables. He already owned a copy of XP and only needed to buy a hard drive.

IMO, if you have $500 to spend, you'll get a lot more for your money going to Cyber Power or I Buy Power. We didn't do this because at 1st, he was going to buy a case & put the Compaq innards in it, so he already had the case when we changed our minds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:29 am 

Thanks for the reply. :)

Those computers under $500 from CyberPower or IBuyPower are decent systems, but I am looking for quietness. I would like to have my computer on throughout the nights without disturbing my sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:18 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Well
What items do you currently have - and what else are you still needing to purchase..

$500 bucks is a really low price tag if you need everything (CPU, RAM, Case, Cooling, Fans, Drives, mobo, etc...).

If you need everything though - its probably going to be more of a - well its quieter than others kind of pc - vs. a truly quiet pc.

If you just need a part of those pieces - then we can certainly help you however we can there :)

Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:57 pm 

Actually, I am just considering. My current system, Dell Dimension 4400, is quite loud. That is why I am looking into building a silent PC.

A new system would just be the main core excluding the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

Thanks for the input :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:01 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

MWplayer wrote:
Actually, I am just considering. My current system, Dell Dimension 4400, is quite loud. That is why I am looking into building a silent PC.

A new system would just be the main core excluding the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

Thanks for the input :)

when was the last time you opened it and cleaned it out? If it was never that loud, I would open it and see if something is loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:26 am 

Yes, I opened it already and cleaned out the dust. The noise is coming from the fans. (The PSU fan and back fan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:20 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

MWplayer wrote:
Yes, I opened it already and cleaned out the dust. The noise is coming from the fans. (The PSU fan and back fan)

well then why not get new ones? Much cheaper