Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tweaks After Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:21 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I just upgraded my ram to 1GB. I remember a MPC issue that told you how to adjust pagefile size and other things but I can't find the issue. Could someone remind me of what month issue that is or just tell me what those tweaks might be.

If there are any other performance enhancing techniques for 1GB of ram, please post them here as well.

Thanks

PS - This upgrade was for my laptop. I went with GeIL. It was the only ram that posted thier cas timings of 2.5 3-3-6 if I remember correctly. What are your thoughts on this ram?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:32 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

• Right-click MY COMPUTER
  • Click on ADVANCED tab
  • Under PERFORMANCE, click on SETTINGS
  • Click on ADVANCED tab
  • Under VIRTUAL MEMORY, click CHANGE button
  • Select CUSTOM SIZE and adjust the Initial and Maximum size to your preference.
You're likely going to get various recommendations on what size this should be, as well as other tips/debates (or perform a search). I'll simply point you to HERE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I usually set mine to 1536MB, not sure about anyone else. After a fresh install of windows, I first go into the advanced settings and disable the virtual memory. After I apply that setting, I then reboot, and do a defrag on my system drive. After the defrag is done, I go back into the virtual memory settings and set the minimum and maximum settings to the same value, 1536 seems to work for me. Apply that setting, and you are done.

This way you ensure that you have your swap file on one continuous partion, rather than scattered about on the drive. Plus, with a fixed value, it doesn't fragment your drive by expanding and shrinking.