Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The $900 Server....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:27 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I'm looking ot make a server using a P4 with HT but I know nothig about the Intel chipsets. SO I'm here looking for anyone who can help me build a $900 server (shipped Hawaii).
The things I'm looking for are dual channel support, SATA, and gigabit lan. This computer will be running Windows 2003 SBS. It will host ISO's, music, photos, and anything else I can think of.
Also, onboard dx 9 video would be nice but not really needed (I can get an 128mb ATI 9250 for about 50 bucks here.).

*edit*
$900

Last edited by RickRock on Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:35 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:15 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Heya Rick,
What all are you looking for - for $800

I assume that at minimum you'll need a:
mobo
CPU
RAM
Case

but are you also looking for drives, etc. for this? This will make a huge diff on what you can get for your $800 bucks...

Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:59 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

tuathal wrote:
Heya Rick,
What all are you looking for - for $800

I assume that at minimum you'll need a:
mobo
CPU
RAM
Case

but are you also looking for drives, etc. for this? This will make a huge diff on what you can get for your $800 bucks...

Tuathal

Complete PC minus monitor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:11 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

and you want a duall Intel....which then translates in xeons. For 900 bucks your not going to get anything new, look on ebay i guess. Look for dual xeons under 2ghz, that'll be close to your pricing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:14 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

OOOOOO look what i found here. thats a killer deal on ebay. If you can spare the extra money its worth it. For 100 dollars less you get dual 1.8's instead of dual 2.6's. Thats a loaded system man, get it NOW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:04 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

It would be helpful if you can describe what your server does. From all that you provided, it just sounds like a network server in which all your things are located. But, is anyone else going to use it? Will it be connected to the net for everyone to use? Providing us with a bit more info would get you some of the answers you're looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:03 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

d1blet wrote:
It would be helpful if you can describe what your server does. From all that you provided, it just sounds like a network server in which all your things are located. But, is anyone else going to use it? Will it be connected to the net for everyone to use? Providing us with a bit more info would get you some of the answers you're looking for.

Yes, others will be access the files on the server, it will be a mail server also it wont handle alot of mail because there will be only about 5-10 people using it.
I didnt say I wanted dual P4's I said dual channel for ram.
This pc will be a central location for ever file I own for others in my home and over the net) to access it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:45 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

OK. For $900, you can get yourself a nice Intel-based P4 server with a 250GB HD. Since this is a personal server that’s going to be used by just a few people, you really don’t need anything powerful, like Xeons or Opterons. A 3GHz P4 is going to be more than powerful enough. But you needing the parts being shipped to HI is going to present a problem. Newegg has awesome prices, but shipping for the mobo went from $4 to $25 when I entered in a HI zip code. But anyway, here’s the server archetype I created that isn’t too much over $900. (namely due to shipping costs)

Case – Antec Server Case w/ 400W PSU - $105. Rock-solid, name-brand case with lots of room for additional drives.
Motherboard – Tyan S5120AGNNRF - $175. Has all the features you’re looking for, with 6 SATA ports, Gigabit LAN, Dual-channel DDR ram, etc. And it comes from Tyan, the maker of the most reliable and stable mobos known.
Processor – Intel P4 @ 3Ghz – On sale now for $180. Remember, you’re not hosting to 300 people, a P4 is more than fast enough for your purposes.
Memory – (2x) Corsair 1GB PC3200 - $200. You’ll need at least 1GB of ram to run a server, so the more the merrier.
Hard Drive – Hitachi Desktar 7K250 - $135. Hitachi/IBM makes fast, quiet, reliable drives. This SATA drive is roomy and will store all your photos, ISOs, etc. with room to spare. I would have recommended a NCQ drive, but you’ll need a motherboard that supports it, and it will be a bit difficult trying to hunt one down when your budget is $900.
Total: $800 (without shipping)

I know that shipping to HI is REALLY expensive, which is why I left you around $100 for shipping costs. If worse comes to worse, you can get 1GB of ram instead of 2. This configuration will leave you space to add additional drives as necessary, as the motherboard supports RAID 0+1. It should also be very stable and should run 24/7 without any issues. You can always rip a CD-ROM drive off of an older computer or find one for 10 bux if you need one.