Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New life for a barely old system
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:21 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok so I know this isn't the best PC compared to other computers but its replacing my Dell dimension 8300 as that system has become sleepy or constantly shuts off so I've decided to update to a newer system to take its place. I was able to find a Dell Vostro 200 mini tower with these specs: Intel C2D 1.8GHZ-2.53GHZ 2GB DDR2 ram 80GB Hard drive and Intel x3100 graphics. Now being this system is replacing a nearly 10 year old Intel P4 HT 2.8GHZ 1.5GB DDR Ram 80+250GB HDD Nvidia Geforce 6200 512MB AGP Windows 7 Home premium 32bit SP1.

Now I know that I can't carry over the graphics card is AGP in the old system and had bad windows aero support. This systems primary use will be as a guest machine so people don't take over my gaming rig or my work laptop. the desktop will also support music/ video to my 360 in other room through the network since its almost being "Borrowed" or on. I figured the C2D would make a better processor for just internet, internet games and windows games like spider. I don't want to spend much on this system I've found a geforce 8400GS that I think will work fine in this computer but I have a feeling the x3100 can do fine with windows 7 aero? but that also brings me to wonder if this system can run windows 8 as I just upgraded my work laptop to. Also does anyone know if this computer since being a 07 or later 64bit capable? I may boost the ram to 4GB if I keep the original graphics but I've read the processor is 64bit but weather Dell allows it is a whole diffrent story.

Thanks for the suggestions if you provide any.

Post subject: Re: New life for a barely old system
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:11 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

How much is this monstrosity? What is your budget? You may be able to build a dazzling new i3 IB system for the same outlay.

Post subject: Re: New life for a barely old system
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:56 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Haha nice choice of words... Monstrosity lol. I call it History or a blast from the past while were at it. Anyway the system was $60.00 on ebay and free shipping. Couldn't beat the free shipping. The Graphics card I mentioned. The 8400GS I also found on eBay for $25.00 and I think free shipping. Honestly its not too bad of a system. I've read that it can be upgraded to a quad core as it uses the 775 socket but the processors it can accept is limited and quad core really isn't needed for this system as its not a gamer nor video editor. It also can do 4GB ram according to Dell. 8GB according to Intel G33 Chipset specs. its also got a PCI-E x16 and X1 slots. By today's terms the system can be easily upgraded to be a pretty decent budget gamer. most PC's I've seen have at least 4GB ram and a Dual core processor. Although they can be upgraded for more ram and this computer will be more outpaced in a few years but the question is weather it can really Windows 8 decently or at least Windows 7 64Bit with the specs that it has. I know 2GB really isn't worth the up to 64Bit but I don't have a 32bit copy of Windows 7 to use I do however have a 64Bit ready to use. Plus upgrading it to 64bit will give it an easier upgrade to more Ram in the future, rather than buy n Install 32bit and then need to upgrade to 64bit to access more ram its easier to just go the 64 router. I think. Thank you for the quick response.