Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Noctua Cooler Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:12 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I want this on my new build so bad.

My current RAM runs north and south not front to back like the above photo. I was wondering if the Noctua D-14 seen in the picture could be mounted up and down which on my current rig is possible. Blowing that steaming hot air directly out the top of the case would be supreme since hot air naturally rises.

Noctua actually has a website and you can check for compatibility with this cooler for anything. RAM, vid cards, MOBO's. Is it possible or has anyone seen this cooler mounted up and down and not front to back???? It's known for having a mounting kit that will allow it to mount to any socket.....any way.

Post subject: Re: Noctua Cooler Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:31 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Considering that LGA1155 mounting holes are in a square, my guess is, yes, you can mount it so that air flows vertically. However, you have to consider now if you have enough clearance for your expansion slots. If it butts into the second slot, you're not putting a video card there.

Also while hot air rises, convection due to temperature differences in the case create minimal airflow compared to the active cooling units. In other words, there's no appreciable benefit to mounting the cooler such that air flows upwards through it. Besides, if anything, that air will just get warmed up by the graphics card anyway since the back tends to get toasty.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I got a huge 200mm exhaust fan ready to take out that hot air and I see it as a plus, the ability to take any heat from the vid card away from it and out the case.

My vid card is enclosed so the cool air that is sucked in and blown over the heatsink inside, is then sent out the rear of the case/vid card enclosure.

Cool air comes in from a large side fan mounted in the window. That blows cool air into the vid card case and hopefully the Noctua cooler will use the cool air too and blow a mixture of cool and hot air up and out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I mentioned before Noctua has a website and you can check compatibility. The MOBO I plan to use is the Sabertooth and the Extreme Viper Series RAM......both of which are approved for use by Noctua on their website.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

This is the approved Sabertooth.

This HAS to blow hot air straight up, right????

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Actually, I have used the NH-D14 with the EXACT same Sabertooth board in your picture. Using G.Skill Sniper RAM and mounted in an East-West configuration. No problems at all. I did have to move the outer fan up just a hair to clear the RAM heat spreaders. Other than that, smooth sailing! Hope this helps you out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:41 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Ahhhhh.......the Gutman, hell yeah that helps out!!!! Someone who actually used it THEMSELVES and had success with it?!?! Didn't you use their website to make sure your RAM was compatible??

Glad to hear it worked out. How's it doing now??? How's your temps? You overclocking? With the rig I am building, on top of the fact I'm NOT a gamer, the new much faster CPU should be all I need to surf the web and watch HDTV with my pc. I most likely will not be overclocking or overclocking very little so a top end heat sink probably won't even be required. Thanks for your reply.