Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need some help with this motherboard....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 am 

Well after a long time, getting back here to post,, Have a new tower that I am trying to fix, got from a friend who son gave up and bought a prefab instead.. So far heres what it is:
Antec with a rocketfish power supply (500 watt?)
Asus M2N78-LA (HP viola P6210 AM2) motherboard
Phenom -quad 9550
500 GB WD blue 7200
4 GB memory of unknown brand
Nvidia C561 pci-e video card (digital & HDMI outputs)
Sata powered DL DVD RW.

The kid removed the plastic cpu cooler bracket and I hope he will find it otherwise I cannot mount the cpu cooler on it. Options ?? I am totally crazy on this but do not want to spend tons of time searching ( did that 2 days now) Anyone know where I can get a bracket or cooler that isnt huge to fit ?

Last edited by supwiz57 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Need some help with this motherboard....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:24 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

PM me your address, I'll mail a bracket & backplate to you

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:35 pm 

Ok, got my brackets, bought a cpu fan "Rocketfish universal" installed it carefully, noticed the Motherboard has a 3 pin cpu pinout, fan has 4 pins, plugged it in anyway, starts up, cpu fans works slow then stops and system shuts down.... Can anyone tell me what that means? Bios says cpu fan failture.

:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:57 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

supwiz57 wrote:
Ok, got my brackets, bought a cpu fan "Rocketfish universal" installed it carefully, noticed the Motherboard has a 3 pin cpu pinout, fan has 4 pins, plugged it in anyway, starts up, cpu fans works slow then stops and system shuts down.... Can anyone tell me what that means? Bios says cpu fan failture.

:cry:

:( Couple of possibilites, bad PSU springs to mind right off, or even a bad CPU. Since the board is not a standard ASUS board (it's not listed on ASUS download or support sites), it was likely custom made for HP using HP's spec's & may not have standard pin-out. Are you attempting to use a standard ATX PSU with this board? If so, that could be the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:59 am 

Yup thats what my thoughts were on that, psu plugged in just like normal think best bet is to replace MB with a standard one that will actually match the unit. since its not in a HP case or using a HP psu supply. Oh well dont know what else to do with it. Standard ATX power is a Rocketfish 500 Watt, Has SATA power wires and pcie power wires, MB power has 4 pin power for cpu. and the standard for the newer boards
Thanks

Just came home from having the system tested By Geek squad with a guy who I know there, He agrees that the mb may have a cracked circuit in the area of the cpu fan input, as the fan starts up then suddenly slows then stops and we test the power supply and all power inputs show good power.
Might just buy a new mb and see wotk with that, the board in now is a oem special made for HP and no support from them...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 am 

:?: A thought here,, Does having a 500 watt power supply factor in? I checked a site to see if the psu was big enough, and according to that site I might require a min of 580 watts? Does that make sense? If cause cpu fan to fail????

:?: :( Anyone out there who can give me an answer?
Never mind, after bypassing the mb power pinout for cpu fan and using a adapter to provide power, get the same error even though the fan is going full blast, even added a 3pin fan on the header and still shut down.. Mother board is not a normal one, thing its trash so going to replace it soon if I can find one.