Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with upgrade on MPC's Creed Build (Oct2012)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:59 pm 

Aloha All! I'm a new member on these forums but have been reading MaximumPC for quite some time. In October of 2010, I came across an issue regarding a budget build. Here's the link just in case you want to read up on it: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... _step_step

The build consists of:
CPU Intel Core i5-760
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212+
RAM 4GB Corsair DDR3/1333
Mobo Asus P7P55D-E Pro
GPU Asus ENGTX 470
Drive Samsung SH-S223F
SSDrive Corsair Force F60
Case Cooler Master Red HAF 922
PSU Corsair TX750
OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64 (OEM)
**only thing I disregarded in the build was the HDD because I already had an extra one laying around.

I built this PC a month after the reading it and it was a nice early Christmas present for me hehe. For about a year (2011) I was able to play a few games (Borderlands and WoW <--- hehe) on full setting with no problems. Aside from gaming, I also ran the latest Photoshop with other programs running simutaneously. I was really happy with the build/performance especially with the small guide on overclocking the i5 CPU. It was my first time overclocking a CPU and only ran into a few problems. But with a few tweaking, it help my build run solid. However, at the end of 2011 I got deployed out to Afghanistan and now my pc is collecting dust...aside from my brother playing D3 hehe. I should be returning home for good at the end of this year in December and planning on upgrading my PC. The reason why I was so intrigued by this build was the fact that the Asus mobo had a bunch of features that's great for upgrading.

When I return home, I plan to get into more FPS's and other games that are more graphically intense. I already plan on getting a bigger SSD and a bigger hard drive for more storage, and also upgrade my RAM (any suggestions?). My question is, with the new goodies out in the market now and with my current Asus Mobo, would I be able to upgrade my CPU to the latest gen i5 or i7 Ivy Bridge CPUs and my GPU to an Nvidia GTX670? I wouldn't mind building a new PC from scratch but if I'm able to upgrade with the newer hardware, I'd rather go that route since it'll help me save more $$. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Mahalo!

Post subject: Re: Help with upgrade on MPC's Creed Build (Oct2012)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:10 am 

Quote:
My question is, with the new goodies out in the market now and with my current Asus Mobo, would I be able to upgrade my CPU to the latest gen i5 or i7 Ivy Bridge CPUs and my GPU to an Nvidia GTX670?

:oops: LOL I failed. I guess my current Asus Mobo supports only LGA 1156 Socket CPU's and PCI-E 2.0. Unfortunately the new Ivy Bridge CPUs are 1155 and GTX670 is PCI-E 3.0. However, I'm still wondering if it's best to upgrade my current setup or just build a whole new PC. The upgrade I'm looking at right now is a GTX570 GPU, OC my current CPU, RAM up to 8GB, and bigger SSD. I don't mind (somewhat) building a new rig, but I'd hate to see my old PC being neglected. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated :D

Mahalo!

Post subject: Re: Help with upgrade on MPC's Creed Build (Oct2012)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:24 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Aloha back to ya.

I am of the opinion that you should make the fewest possible upgrades to your rig until it is finally time for a new build, perhaps at least a year, maybe even several, from now. Unfortunately, your mobo will not allow you to upgrade to the newest CPUs, but that is okay because your CPU is still very solid for gaming. So you need not replace either. In addition, your optical, SSD, Case, PSU and HSF are all good.

The only parts I'd suggest you consider replacing are the RAM and GPU. Unless you can find the same set of memory sticks, I'd suggest purchasing 8 GB (4 GB x 2 sticks) of decent 1600 Mhz RAM. And depending on your games, game settings and monitor resolution, I'd consider a GTX 660 Ti or higher. Otherwise, it really would not make sense to upgrade your GTX 470 as there won't be an appreciable difference with anything lower.

Overall, your system holds up pretty well even two years later. Heck, you might not even really truly need an upgrade. Get back home and tell us if there's anything wrong with your system and then we will talk :mrgreen: