Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Suggestions or warnings for pre-build?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 am 

In a few days I'm ordering the following hardware, and I wanted to know if anybody had any suggestions or changes I should make based on their experience. Most of these parts are maxing my budget, so please keep that in mind.

CPU: Intel i7-3770k Ivy Bridge (3.5GHz - 3.9GHz OC)

Board: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA1155

GPU: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7950 3GB

RAM: G.Skill TridentX 4x4GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 2400MHz (Yes, this is compatible with both the 3770k and the Extreme6, though I had to check with ASRock tech support)

PSU: Kingwin 750W PLATINUM PLUS Certified

Post subject: Re: Suggestions or warnings for pre-build?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:06 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Okay I will be critical, maybe mean, but I am sure you can handle it :mrgreen:

It strikes me odd that you caution of not "maxing" your budget, yet select some pretty expensive parts. Imho, you can go much cheaper without sacrificing much, if any, performance. Thing is, what are you going to do with this build in terms of computer usage? As for gaming, what resolution and settings? That said...

Unless you are doing something that will actually benefit from the 2400 Mhz RAM or unless it's something I don't know about or unless you are just trying to impress people, why they 2400 RAM that costs $145? 1600 is about the sweet spot, while 1866 may arguably be worth the extra money. Otherwise, read this article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sand ... est-ddr3/6
and get 8 GB of these Samsung sticks for about $45.

Unless you really need all the ports and connections, you could go with less of a mobo in the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and save about $40. At $180, I'd suggest considering ASUS, but I am guessing you already did that and decided with ASRock.

If this is really mostly a gaming build, save about $100 and get a Core i5-3570K instead of the i7.

The Radeon 7950 is nice and an arguable sweet spot on the high-end for GPUs.

This SeaSonic X750 Gold is arguably a better PSU and cheaper than your Kingwin.

And next time, linking your parts to the Egg product pages will make viewing your parts easier.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions or warnings for pre-build?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:00 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Just basic help:

Don't close the case panels until you're happy with the build. I still do this all the time thinking I just slap it together and everything will work the first time. Yet every time I give myself a forehead slap and grab the screwdriver again, and again, and again as I sort the small stuff out.

Don't skimp on the PSU, and for once you pay for the name here. I only use three brands in this house and none have let me down: Seasonic, PCP&C, and Antec Earthwatts. I've got to be selective on the later pair though. Earthwatts are really Seasonic and PCP&C had a crappy phase there for a while with the Silencers (thus MK revisions to get back to being a solid brand).

I'm not a fan of Asrock or Biostar anything and just feel you're not saving money to go that route. Asus, MSI, Giggity-byte; they surely have something in the same price range that you're aiming for that may appear to be trimmed down but really aren't when compared in actual usage.

And troubles aren't always due to part selection/mismatch. We build because we want the challenge among several other things, but don't give up at the first sign of issues and begin an RMA process or give a weak-sauce Newegg review because ya didn't try to figure it out. Things have never been plug-and-play and there's just some issues that need worked out when companies stamp out this stuff en mass. You can help others if you stick with the issue for a while and give it a shot. I've got an Asus P8Z77-M Pro that just needs the battery removed to power up and posting from it now. No, it's not right...but figuring that small thing out is helping other buyers. If not for figuring out that they're at fault or that BIOS swaps/versions don't fix the issue, we'd just look like we can't build a PC and have a very generic "No Post" build error.