Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tell me where I may have gone wrong with this $1,000 build
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:26 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Finally, after about 5-6 years I can upgrade my gaming computer.

Here are the parts I'm picking. I've built many computers in my life but just figured hell, might as well get some more eyes on it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" SSD
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
Power Supply: Corsair AX650

Those are the main parts. I have a mouse and keyboard already as well as a Western Digital (Black) 1TB for storage.

I'll also be getting the Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" monitor since my Samsung is taking a dump.

Anyone have thoughts on the build? Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tell me where I may have gone wrong with this $1,000 bui
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Almost "I have absolutely no problems" build. The only thing I'd change is the PSU, like this SeaSonic one. Yes, I might have a hard-on for SeaSonic, but they're a highly reliable brand. I wouldn't worry too much about the Bronze 80PLUS instead of the Gold.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I love me some SeaSonic as well. My current build has one and its been a rock for me, no problems at all. And that is the whole reason I'm going with that Corsair in particular -- it a SeaSonic PSU with the Corsair brand slapped out.

Over kill? Yeah. But I like it. I'd like to find a better deal though, $150 seems a smidge high.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 am 

the cpu cooler may hit the ram, not sure, i had to make mine a "pull" instad of a "push" by putting the fan on the back. no big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:50 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Seasonic all the way. They are just too damn great to pick anything but. I migrate towards the X-series for it's fanless coolness and then when it does go >40% it's got the Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan to stay...well...silent!

Yep, that Ripjaws will hit the EVO. With prices in the basement, you should look at some low-profile 16GB of Ares. Use Coupon Code: MEM106 for a quick and cool 12% off. You may also be able to double up with BTEJNNJ36 for 24% off!

Will you be spinning just the one WD Black hdd? How many od's are coming over to this build? I ask only since this mobo is neutered with only 6 sata's (4 II's and 2 III's). They can go quick, so I always go with at least 8 for od options, hot swap bays or esata if and when needed. Just plan ahead.

Everything else is golden for your $1K cap.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:10 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jey18, don't buy that monitor off of newegg. Dell has it for $299 right now and with coupon code "DTJHR33$9BQ744" you can steal it for $269.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:51 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I wasn't planning on buying all the items from NewEgg, just linking for simplicity. :) Thanks but the coupon ran out, d'oh! :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

jey18 wrote:
I wasn't planning on buying all the items from NewEgg, just linking for simplicity. :) Thanks but the coupon ran out, d'oh! :(

Then wait for the inevitable sale for it to go back around $280 or less :mrgreen:
jey18 wrote:
...Over kill? Yeah. But I like it. I'd like to find a better deal though, $150 seems a smidge high.

Nothing wrong with overkill, because that is the best way to ensure a kill. But imho $150 is too much for your needs. I don't know if it is or isn't worth it, but seriously, Gold isn't worth it. If you do want overkill, then how about this:
SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply for $102 after promo code.
LatiosXT wrote:
Almost "I have absolutely no problems" build...

I concur. Other than the PSU, if I wanted to nitpick, I'd suggest this Samsung RAM, a more subtle case and a 256 GB SSD if within budget.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ugh, just read a review on the Samsung 840 Pro SSD's... might have to wait a couple weeks to grab one of those. Then I just get myself into the waiting game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:34 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Unless you're running benchmarks for a living you won't see any IOP difference between the 830 and 840. But you will notice a 20-35% or more acquisition cost when released, and not for another month or two. Snag an 830 on clearance as soon as you can. I just shit myself listening to people wait and sit on their hdd in hopes and waiting for another 1,500 IOP ssd. Do please immediately realize all our mechanical platters peter out at 75-180 IOPS, the 830 sprints at 80,000 an increase of about 630-times!!!! Don't wait, just buy!

Last edited by kleinkinstein on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:49 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

hindolio wrote:
if I wanted to nitpick, I'd suggest this Samsung RAM, a more subtle case and a 256 GB SSD if within budget.

1. Right on! Those Sammy sticks are superb. I simply can't wait for their new 8GB 20nm DIMMS! I hear they are awfully close to market.
2. Damn strait! Those NZXT Phantom cases are fuxing ugly. Who gives a shit if Nedwards has a thing for 'em. How about saving some jack for #3 and get yourself a Cougar Solution for $25 after MIR.
3. 830, nuff said!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:34 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for the input dudes and bros. Ended up switching a couple things, here is the final setup all on the way or already here...

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti Windforce 2X
PSU: SeaSonic X-Series 750W
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black)
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24"

Not all items bought at NewEgg. PSU is way overkill but I actually got it on sale cheaper than the 650W version. For some strange reason, I really like the NZXT case. Switched the SSD after reading a few articles and your guys' recommendations. Stuck with the memory because I'm stubborn.

Can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You did good, real GOOD!

Check back when it boots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

kleinkinstein wrote:

Or it doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:00 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Ah'hem...the power of positive thinking! C'mon now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

As is, before I start my own schpeel, a 650w Unit from a good vendor will do fine. It's here that you play with prices and constantly searching the egg for updates (wishlist rocks to watch prices...load it up) and can find 750W+ units for the same price the unit you're aiming at. I'm not suggesting you need more power, but and old 750w bronze refurb could be seen for $65 and actually be a "Silver" in your actual usage as I don't see you peaking past 600. I don't want to go into it now, but going 100W past the peak usage is good, every bit after that allows the PSU to work less. It's not direct efficiency of the PSU, but the build as a whole. You can get 85% power efficiency in a build with an 80% PSU.

Good PSU's are PCP&C, Seasonic...and all builds those two make. I know corsair has a huge fan base...yeah...I won't go into it here.
-------------------
My schpeel has weakened. If it's been 5-6 years, you're going to be shocked easily in a lot of your selections. An i3 w/HT will pull par with what I assume you're running, z77 may offer you way too much, Don't need a cooler unless you OC, Any SSD will improve you...and I'm going to say it: You could pull this off with iTX and build this in something smaller than a shoebox. However, you're a gamer and video card makers aren't playing that low-pro game (low pro is not "Single slot", but they're trying to say that. Low-pro is really half-height PCI slot). You need at least an mATX case and an mATX board.

You can trim a lot down on hardware to get a good gaming box then use the savings on peripherals. It doesn't have to be all on the box, so question everything around it as well. Does that Steel Pad and R.A.T. mouse look expensive? Chop $100 off the total build and purchase those vise a really kick ass CPU. Gaming isn't hardware as much...or even CLOSE as it is the Human Computer interface. Hardware very seldom makes a person better at games. I say very seldom, but I would love to say "never" as I haven't seen it; but it could happen. The bottleneck in gaming is usually the human and/or the interaction to the box they built.

Don't blame the box. I'd play on my 5yo hardware and suck now, but it's only because I forgot the game ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

jey18 wrote:
...PSU is way overkill but I actually got it on sale cheaper than the 650W version...

That's the kind of deal I'm talking about. Quality stuff you can't help but purchase. That is one sexy PSU.

jey18 wrote:
...Stuck with the memory because I'm stubborn...

You damn mule! Just kidding - everyone is stuck in some way or another so it's all good. I've purchase RAM before simply because of the color myself :mrgreen:

Chumly wrote:
...Don't blame the box. I'd play on my 5yo hardware and suck now, but it's only because I forgot the game ;)

I never had much game myself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:47 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
kleinkinstein wrote:

Or it doesn't.

It booted just fine :roll:

I have it OC'd to 4.4 GHz now and stressed the CPU and GPU over a couple nights and the temps were acceptable and the system seems stable. Hooray for no DOA parts.

Got the SSD tweaked and it boots up ridiculously fast, I'm quite happy with the purchases. :)