Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recording PC Video Games
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:53 pm 

I enjoy playing MMORPG's, and have wanted to do this for years. Most people refer me to FRAPS, but I have not only had issues with this program (as in it crashes quite often), but I'm looking for a better solution.

What I want to do is send my video out (from my video card) into an SVGA splitter, with one going to my monitor (to be able to see the video while playing the game) and the other going to another computer (possibly SVGA input?) to record with. The problem I have run into with this idea is that input cards don't seem to have SVGA input, they support Composite and/or SVideo inputs, but not SVGA.

I'm not saying that FRAPS isn't a good program, just that I'm looking more for a hardware answer. Not only does FRAPS crash often on my computer, but it also (and most people I've talked to have had this issue also) slows down the game play quite a bit. DirectX games are resource intensive and FRAPS (as are most video capture programs) also. This causes a lot of latency while playing high-speed games.

Any help with a hardware solution (or if it can't be done thru hardware even another solution aside from FRAPS) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:58 pm 

do you need a digital copy of the recording? because they have little boxes that take in vga and output vga and rca video, so you could record it on a vcr. or use another computer with an rca input to record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:28 pm 

scooter086 wrote:
do you need a digital copy of the recording? because they have little boxes that take in vga and output vga and rca video, so you could record it on a vcr. or use another computer with an rca input to record.

I would prefer digital recording, but it's not necessary if I can get around having to use the software to record with while running the game. After searching thru page after page on Google with no luck to my solution, any idea where I might be able to find one of these boxes or possibly a name of the manufacturer?

Thanks very much for the help on this. Hopefully I can locate one of these boxes. :)