Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cables for OEM hard drive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:07 am 

I just purchased an OEM Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA 300GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

Being that this is an OEM drive, I do not think it comes with any cables. What kind of cables, and how many, do I need to buy to get this hard drive up and running?
Also, can I buy them from the local Best Buy, or would I need to get them from a computer vendor that has a larger selection, like Newegg?
Thanks
Tommy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:29 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

First question is does your MOBO support SATA. As for cables you can check your local Best Buy, Circuit City they may have them but by no mean certain.If you have a CompUSA there is probably a good chance they have them.This is an example of the type of cable you need they come in longer and shorter lengths and differant brand names.
As you can see by the link New Egg does carry them but you will pay more for the shipping than you will the cable so I would only order from them if I had a larger ticket item to purchase also. Zip ZoomFly says they have free shipping but I notice their price is more then it would cost to get from newegg even with shipping added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:39 am 

is this drive going to be part of a new computer? because most motherboards come with all the cables you need. i know the Intel mobo i'm getting comes with 4 sata cables, a braided ide cable, and i think a braided floppy drive cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:47 am 

@chiller2 - My mobo is a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset For AMD Socket 939 CPU - RETAIL

@scooter086 - Yes, my new hard drive will be part of a new computer system. And my mobo is retail. Does that mean it will have the necessary cables for my OEM hard drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:03 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

From the link you posted it looks like the cables were included with the MOBO.MOBO Bundle Picture I think the orange cables are your SATA cables check your MOBO manual to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:49 am 

if that is the actual mobo you're getting with the retail packaging, then yes, it comes with the sata cables. the four small orange cables on the right are your sata cables. the mobo also comes with power adapters to power the sata drive just in case your power supply doesn't have them. those are the cables that are red black and yellow with black and white connectors.