Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help Finding High End Laptop With Large Display
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm 

Hey Guys,
My uncle wants me to find a laptop for him.

He wants something powerful, because he does a lot of woodworking and does a ton of TurboCAD stuff. Actually, that is according to him, I don't know how much he does in TurboCAD, but he does watch a lot of woodworking videos on DVD. I've been helping him with some of his PC stuff for about 7 years, and I've not seen one CAD drawing in his office or wood shop. I also know that he has a bunch of stuff in iTunes that he likes to listen to. I really don't know what his internet habits are, but he doesn't really have the patience for online gaming, or multitasking with a bunch of programs open.

He would like something with a large screen. I've been kind of surfing around this morning looking, and it seems like most manufacturers don't really go higher than a 17" display anymore. It seems like a couple of years ago, Acer, Origin, and Sony all had 18.4" models. Does anyone make a good laptop with a display larger than 17", or am I out of luck? I know that Alienware does, but that thing is ugly, and from what I read, weights a ton.

He wants it to be somewhat portable. He is retired, and he does have a large wood, shop, but he also has back problems. I imagine that a lot of his computing will be done sitting in his chair, with the machine on his lap. He may take it around the house some, but he isn't going to spend hours hunched over a coffee table or anything. He reads a lot of ebooks, but he has a kindle for that. It may spend a lot of time on his office desk, but he will move it some. I understand with a large display and everything else he wants, it won't be ultraportable, but I'm not going to try to convince him to buy an 18lb laptop.

I say high end, because he has never asked me about the cost of anything. The last PC he bought was a Dell Workstation with Dual Quad Core Xeon processors, a QuadroFX 1700, 1TB RAID 1, and a 30" monitor. He spent a ton of money on it, and I know it is Dell, and how we feel about them, but that is what he wanted. I spec'ed it out as a joke, pretty much just like one of our production server we were running at the time. His PC 'advisor' looked at it, and said "Yes, that is what you need", so he ordered it without a second thought. I would feel bad letting him pay a ton of money for a laptop but he is going to do it if that is what it costs to get what he needs.

There is nothing wrong with his current PC, other than the fact that he still has a certain 'advisor' that is helping him. He has had it in the shop 5-6 times over the last 3-4 months. I've pleaded with him to call me first, but he just keeps insisting that the guy has always fixed everything for him, so he trusts him. Not that he doesn't trust me, but he knows I won't ask him for any money, and he doesn't feel right asking me to do it for free. I mean I'm not an idiot, if I spend a whole day over at his house doing PC stuff, I'll let him give me something for my trouble, but I'm just not going to ransom him over a failed driver or something that it takes me 15 minutes to fix. Mostly, the guy he uses doesn't like to do a lot of work. If my uncle will bring it to him, he will look at it, but it's too much trouble to go out to my uncle's property. He is also the type of guy that likes to talk in techspeak and confuse my uncle.

Beside the point, his wood shop is wonderful. He couldn't find a design he wanted so he built a three bedroom house, and modified it to fit his needs. It has a functional kitchen and bathroom. One bedroom is a office/lounge, one bedroom is a sanding room, and one is a painting/staining room. The rest of the floor plan is opened up to allow him to work on his projects. I'd actually love to use it for casemods and other stuff if I wasn't so lazy as to get my butt out there. Beside the wood shop, there is a large metal building housing welders and all kinds of other stuff for metalworking (their property was a working farm/ranch at one time, so they had a ton of equipment they had to keep up repairs on). If anyone is interested in pics, I'll get some next time I go out.

Also, he wants some help on his wireless network. Anyone want to tackle that, or should I post in the networking forum?

Thanks,

Rob

TL:DR
Would like a good laptop for my uncle, preferably with a large display. Not too heavy, and powerful enough to run TurboCAD. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Help Finding High End Laptop With Large Display
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I found http://www.seaboom.com/scripts/product. ... 4&REFID=PG after a few minutes of searching. Other than that, yeah, they're not really that popular.

Besides that, it was kind of silly anyway to market a not-really portable device as a portable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:05 pm 

Quote:
I found http://www.seaboom.com/scripts/product. ... 4&REFID=PG after a few minutes of searching. Other than that, yeah, they're not really that popular.

Yeah, I saw that, that model was one of the ones that I was referring to in the comment about there being a few manufacturers that made them a couple of years ago. Not that I don't think that would work for him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
Toshiba still makes a 18.4 laptop screen with decent video.

http://www.frys.com/product/6568073?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/6415932?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

both of these are only available in store so you might have to look for them unless you are close to a Fry's

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 am 

Quote:
Toshiba still makes a 18.4 laptop screen with decent video.

http://www.frys.com/product/6568073?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/6415932?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG

both of these are only available in store so you might have to look for them unless you are close to a Fry's

Thanks for the link, I'll check them out. Unfortunately, the nearest Fry's is about 500 miles away.