Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Automatic Shutdown
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:44 am 

Need some input before my pc goes through the window or to the local geek squad - Ever since I installed a Zalman cnps7000-Cu and a Hardcano 12 fan Controller (which I have disconnected) my PC shuts down all by itself! Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a few hours - whenever it feels like it. I think it could be 1), a loose wire or 2) not enough thermal grease between the CPU and the Zalman - Any one out there want to offer up some advice? Specs are K8NE Deluxe MOBO; AMD 64 3200+, two sticks Kingston(1024 mg). 3 drives- 30gb WD IDE master and 2 WD70gb raptors in raid, 2 optical drives (52x CD and a DVD/CD burner) ATI Radeon 9200 All-in-Wonder Graphics card, Audigy 2 Zs sound card , Logitech 5.1 speakers, a 450W ultra quiet power supply, 1 120mm fan on the PS, 4 80mm fans and of course the Zalman 90mm, all crammed into an ANTEC plusView 1000AMG case. Outside is a 19" NEC Multisync and a 35" TV /monitor (side note: for those of us who think DoomIII or HL-2 is too dark, this is the way to go)
and the Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse. I hate to beg: But can any one please help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:06 am 
Team Member
Team Member

why is your Hardcano 12 fan controller disconnected?

go ahead and check your wires and check the grease. but go into your BIOS and see the CPU temp, and just leave it on bios for a while watching the temp, if the temp rises to +55 C, it could be the cause of power off.

thats all i can help sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:57 am 
Northwood
Northwood

you said that you have a 450watts power supply, what brand is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Being worried about a loose wire, have you checked that no wires are dangling into the fan on the heatsink? If that fan is stopped, most systems will autoshutdown without any warning at all to protect the cpu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:55 am 

That old saying about a watched pot never boils can be true; Except in my case this sucker is WAY over it's limits. Of course it won't shut down but the BIOS is showing it maxing out at 80c, which is 10c over it's max temp. So, what's wrong with this Picture? A total of 4 fans exhausting, one breathing in,
Case temp is a cool 29c, but even if it doesn't shut down I'm cooking the chip.
How the heck is this happening? The Zalman is running just shy of 2800rpm, and so is the 80mm intake, and really it's not that hot in here.

And many thanks to all who posted; And to answer each: The Hardcano is disconnected because there are just too dang many wires and I haven't got into the wire management end of it yet.
My power supply is a off-the-shelf Works Ultra Quiet 1, which I happen to be happy with at the moment.

And, no wires hanging anywhere I can help it, I have a clearview case with 2 blue cold cathode tubes and 2 80mm Antec fans w/blue leds so I can see everything quite well. COOLING! Maybe some dry ice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:08 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Digibit wrote:
So, what's wrong with this Picture? A total of 4 fans exhausting, one breathing in

right there is your problem. i didnt even read the rest of your post but that right there is your problem. what kind of case do you have? well show you how to correctly place your fans. know know that having one fan in a four fans out is pointless. at the most you should have ONE mroe fan exhausting then pullin in. not 3. so post what kind of case you have and we'll get your computer working A OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:50 am 

Antec PLUSView 1000 AMG SOHO File server Case - Comes W/ 2 80mm fans out the back; I've added another to the front and one one the side, The Zalman is in the middle of course with the PS fan above it. I wanted to put another intake fan on the front; but I'm thinking that I really should split up the HD's to keep them cooler; 2- 10.000 rpm raptors stacked doesn't seem to be a 'cool' idea. to do that I've got to utilize the the other cage wich is made for an alternate fan location. as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:25 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

have the two in the front pushing air IN. have the side one pushing air IN as well. then have the two back ones pushing air OUT. and also have the powersuppy puch air OUT. that'll solve your thermal issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:36 pm 

Whew! I don't know about you , cleric, but the (brief ) springtime weather forced me outside, but I went to my local mage's place Moondog Multimedia (a shout out!) and picked up some thermal paste/heatsink goo or whatever and even though their advice was similiar, a re-application of goo brought my temp down to a bearable 67c without OC and now I feel confident that I can now OC a 'tad' without frying. But, back to the Hardcano fan controller and what to do with all these wires! Jeez, you'd think trying to build a 'super PC' would have a few less roadblocks! I went to Best buy today to pick up some burnable media, and what a sorry place. No fans, no thermal paste, no this, no that, what the heck are people buying there? Thanks, Cleric, for sticking with it: I can tell that if it's a problem you are willing to solve it . I'm a Newbie! Yea, right, my first Pc needed a math co-processor before they invented it... And working at Intel didn't teach me a damn thing . But it helps when you can butt heads together cause sometimes you can't see the bytes through all the bits. Can you predict if fx-55 will be dethroned by the dual processors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:23 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

67 is bearable? Not in my opinon but meh.

Did you switch the fans like grammaton suggested? You are essentially creating a vacuum within your PC with zero airflow, that would be why the temps are still so high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:07 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Digibit wrote:
Whew! I don't know about you , cleric, but the (brief ) springtime weather forced me outside

here in new york its been non-stop rain and flood warnings. the little meandering river thats a quarter mile from my house is now a HUGE river thats around 75 yards from my house, not cool.

and were here to help, no big deal if your a noobie, we all were sometime.

FX-55 will be dethroned by the FX-57. not a dualcore processor just yet. AMD will only release dual core processors for their server lines in the beginning. but around this time next year then yes, the best AMD desktop processor will be a dual core.