Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help on a first time build
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:52 pm 

I have decided to build a computer for my two sons (3 and 5). This will be the first computer I have built from the ground up. Most of the use for the computer will be for playing "older" kid's games and surfing the net. I have a case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, DVD rom, CDRW, 160 GB HD, and a copy of Windows xp.
The computer they are using now is a Compaq hand-me-down with a Celeron 466MHz. It has a nvidia geforce2 mx200 32mb pci card in it. It's starting to struggle to keep up with some of their games and I am tired of fighting with it.

I don't need anything blazing fast, I'm just wanting to get my feet wet learning to build a computer. I would prefer to spend less than $500 (with an emphasis on less!).

I think all I need a mobo, processor, psu, memory, and maybe a graphics card (unless I could reuse the PCI card). I would prefer to get an AMD chip. Please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

first off dump the pci card for gaming

Asus - A7V600-X

A7V600-X 333/400FSB VIA KT600/VIA VT8237 chipset DDR PC3200 6PCI Audio Lan ATX with cpu - Athlon XP 3200 w/fan & heatsink Volcano 8-PC3200 256MB DDR 218.00 on the options page i would bump up the ram to at least 512
http://www.unitedmicro.com/mbw.cgi?48172219
GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR AGP Video Card w/TV-Out $48.50
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... TV&cat=VCD i love these guys specially on sunday
what ever you do doesnt matter how much you skimp on anything else dont buy a cheap power supply. i prefer and recommend antec
ANTEC SMARTBLUE 350 WATTS ATX POWER SUPPLY $51.95
antecpowersupply
this will smoke what your using now and im sure someone else will drop a few suggestions for ya also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:00 am 
Northwood
Northwood

good cheap ram, check out www.crucial.com and check out their regular line, not the ballistix series. crucial makes awesome quality ram and the performance of their ram is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:00 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Will the "generic" memory in the combo be OK? I have read many posts that say to only go with a brand name memory. I have been look at Newegg at the Mushkin 1GB (2X512) deal for $80 after rebate.

I saw in another post about a Thermaltake PSU. Will one of those be OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:06 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

i can't beleve your building a computer for a 3 and a 5 year old :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:53 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

dunn2953 wrote:

I'm all for it. I got my son using a PC at about age 4 and he's clearly ahead of his peers on a computer. His school has Kindergartners using a PC lab once a week and I helped out with it last year (he's in 1st grade now). If given the chance, I like the idea of developing those skills early on, as they'll be using a PC throughout their educational careers and beyond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:57 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Very well spoken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:32 am 

dunn2953 wrote:

I kinda figured that I could start with something for them and then work my way up to something for me. They really like the "cartoon" games and this gives them a way to learn how to use the computer while they think they are just playing a game. My parents started me with an Apple IIc when I was about 8 or 9. I still have that computer, although it hasn't been booted for several years. I just feel that the sooner I get them started learning the computer the better they will do when they start school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:57 am 
Team Member
Team Member

timbo3 wrote:
dunn2953 wrote:

I kinda figured that I could start with something for them and then work my way up to something for me. They really like the "cartoon" games and this gives them a way to learn how to use the computer while they think they are just playing a game. My parents started me with an Apple IIc when I was about 8 or 9. I still have that computer, although it hasn't been booted for several years. I just feel that the sooner I get them started learning the computer the better they will do when they start school.

damn right, your doing the right thing for this day and age

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:11 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Do yourself a favor and set up the PC so that the kids have administrator accounts. XP won't allow installing most programs from a limited account, and many won't run properly from a limited account even if installed from an administrator account.

Format the hard drive as NTFS... it is much more tolerant of kids shutting down Windows the wrong way. And when you build the PC, don't connect the reset switch. I have four kids ages 6, 10, 13, and 15 and they haven't made any of my three Windows XP PCs BSOD yet.

I learned this the hard way after I got tired of my kids asking me every couple of days to install a new program or to help them because a program would not run. Just give them full control over the PC and don't keep anything important on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:39 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
damn right, your doing the right thing for this day and age

Absolutely, there's no such thing as too young. I started teaching my son at three, how to hold, click, and guide the mouse. Set your child on your lap, entertain them through an OS install, and let them play educational games while you hold their hand on the mouse. Feed their curiosity.

My son is six, this kid is on the PC 24-7. He will eat, then go right back to where he came from. He can reinstall his old games where he wants it, including dozens of shortcuts that can get messy. He won't let me tell him how to do it. He proves to me that he's capable. "Sit down and watch." "See, I told you daddy, i can install Blues Clues."

They memorize techniques at a young age, with an alarming rate of speed, so keep up with them.