Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No Display From My Video Card
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:45 am 

Hello everyone! I finally talked the wife into letting me build a new PC. Which consisted of..

XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W PSU

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AZRX 500GB IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

It was about a $1000 budget build. I got it all put together this weekend. Everything went fairly smooth. When it came time to boot it up though, I wasn't getting a display at all. I switched the card around to different slots. Tried the other inputs, and I even tried to connect it to my TV via HDMI, and still got nothing. I really had no idea if it was some option I needed to tweak in the BIOS. For one thing I couldn't even SEE the BIOS. My next idea was to stick my old video card in there and see what happened, and when I did that it booted up fine and I had a display. That card was a cheapo HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

My 7870 was getting power, because the fans on the card were running. So I know it wasn't completely dead. I'm just wondering if there is some option in the BIOS that I needed to change in order for it to recognize that card. I've already sent it back to Newegg because I was certain the card was DOA, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think that it was something very simple that could've been fixed easily.

Does anyone have any thoughts or answers on this?