Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrade laptop with SSD
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:29 pm 

I have a laptop - a Compaq CQ50-130US - that I'm thinking of upgrading by swapping out the HDD for a SSD. For the things I use it for - websurfing, light Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, and the (very) occasional movie watching on a plane - it does fine, it's just kinda slow on loading and booting. I would probably get something fairly small, 120 or 128 GB, MAYBE 160, I don't need a lot of space, and don't want to spend a lot on this upgrade.

So first, what do you think, will this be worthwhile? And second, will this machine take a SATA-III drive, or will I need to get a SATA-II? I'm pretty sure from the age it is SATA-I, and I'm unclear on the backward compatibility here.

Also any suggestions on drives would be welcome.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Upgrade laptop with SSD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:06 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

That machine is not worthy of a ssd, but I bet you already know it. Don't waste your money. Instead, pool it and upgrade that 6+ ton anchor to a svelte lappy with ddr3, sata III, HD screen, and and i5 ivy proc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'd recommend getting a OCZ Agility 4, you can get a 128gb size....they were only $55 3 weeks ago so they'll drop again soon and they are plenty fast. Your laptop is probably SATA 2 but this will give you the "mirage" of having a brand new machine as you continue to save up to get a new laptop. Once you get a new laptop just move that SSD into the new laptop and enjoy even faster speed.

I always recommend buying an SSD before buying a whole new machine as it gives you another year to 2 years out of a machine before you just can't take it anymore. My local government actually decided on getting SSDs for their 5 year old machines at around $300,000 and they're estimating another 2 years out of those machines and a savings of 1.2 million....and best of all the government workers actually think they've gotten new computers. Win-win.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 pm 

kleinkinstein wrote:
That machine is not worthy of a ssd, but I bet you already know it. Don't waste your money. Instead, pool it and upgrade that 6+ ton anchor to a svelte lappy with ddr3, sata III, HD screen, and and i5 ivy proc.

I appreciate your responding, but I'm wondering if you understood my use of this machine. This isn't my main system by a long shot, it mainly sits on the floor behind my recliner, and gets used, as I said, for websurfing (looking up on IMDB just who that guy guest starring on the TV show is when I'm too lazy to head into the den to check on the desktop), the kids occasional school report, watching a movie on a plane maybe once a year or less. Not a real workhorse. I appreciate the thought in your suggestion, but just looking at Newegg, the cheapest laptop with an I5 is 500 bucks, and that's just looking at one of your components. Seems like real overkill.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 pm 

Masterchi wrote:
I'd recommend getting a OCZ Agility 4, you can get a 128gb size....they were only $55 3 weeks ago so they'll drop again soon and they are plenty fast. Your laptop is probably SATA 2 but this will give you the "mirage" of having a brand new machine as you continue to save up to get a new laptop. Once you get a new laptop just move that SSD into the new laptop and enjoy even faster speed.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm looking at that one right now. For some reason I was sure last time I looked into this that the laptop was SATA 1, but checking the specs on the included drive it appears to be SATA-2, so I think you are right.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:53 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

SATA I or II or whatever, an SSD will give that aged piece o tech some good boost definitely. The question imho is, is that what you want and is it something you are willing to do? I am guessing yes because you are asking the question lol.

I think it's a great idea because:
1) You should be able to find a pretty cheap 128 GB SSD, which should be plenty for that laptop.
2) Even if things don't work out as planned, you can always take the new SSD to a new build.
3) DIY builds/upgrades are fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:11 am 

hindolio wrote:
I think it's a great idea because:
1) You should be able to find a pretty cheap 128 GB SSD, which should be plenty for that laptop.
2) Even if things don't work out as planned, you can always take the new SSD to a new build.
3) DIY builds/upgrades are fun.

Definitely agree with that last one - built my first system almost 20 years ago, and haven't had a system I didn't build myself since.

Thanks for the reply.