Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: choosing an additional monitor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm in the market for a second monitor, and I'd like a little bit of guidance. I have a 24" monitor, and I'm thinking of buying either a 30" or another 24" I'd like to use the monitor for gaming, and I'd like multiple monitors for productivity. My question, for those who have multi monitor setups, is how important is it to get the same screen or same screen size for multiple monitors? Is multimonitor gaming that worth it? If so, do I need to get three identical mointors, or at least 3 of the same size? I would think the bezels are so large multi monitor gaming wouldn't be fun.
For productivity, should the monitors be the same size? I use a multimonitor setup at work, and I have a smaller laptop screen with a high resolution and a larger desktop screen with a lower resolution, and it is a very difficult system to use.
Basically, anything regarding disparate monitor size, resolution, and quality (my current monitor is HPVA, and I'm buying an IPS) would be nice.

My current monitor is a Dell at 1920x1200, the monitors i would buy are both dell, the 24 at 1920x1200 and the 30 at 2560x1600 (or whatever the 19:10 is at thirty inches).

Post subject: Re: choosing an additional monitor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I like same sizes, just to keep uniform resolutions. Not to mention that you'll have an edge on the larger monitor where the cursor will stop.

I find multi-monitor game support kind of gimmicky, mostly because, while accounts suggest you'll ignore them, you'll have to deal with the bezles. On my two monitors, both Dells, the bezels combined would be an inch thick. And not only that, nothing's render there. So I have an inch of discontinuous space. I don't know, I'd find that annoying. You'd just have to ask yourself if you could deal with it. Also you'll need three wide at least. If you do two (or four), playing FPS games will be impossible because you can't see where you're aiming at.

As for panel type, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you work with something that requires color accuracy. I have an eIPS monitor, I really don't see any quality difference over the TN panel other than viewing angles. I'm pretty sure if I looked hard enough at a P-IPS monitor I could tell, but I don't think it's worth the extra $100+.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:03 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I think you're right about the varying quality of monitors. Can I get a few more opinions though? Id like to buy either one of the monitors pretty soon.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:03 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

What is your budget? Big, really BIG, acquisition disparity between a HQ 24" and 30" IPS panel.

Notable steal right now on the Dell UltraSharp U2412M @ $269

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Imho, a single biggest-panel-you-can-get and are-comfortable-with is the way to go. But, it is imho. If anything, I'd consider using a secondary panel for secondary tasks if my usage made sense for me to do so. Otoh, I read a lot of people using multi-monitors for everyday tasks and for gaming. They make use of it and are more productive, so that is awesome. Ain't for me though.

Ergo, I'd recommend 27-inch cheap IPS panel (Catleap or similar). If budget is not a concern, then a 27 or 30-inch IPS from Dell or similar.

I can't stress this enough but again this is IMHO - multi-monitor gaming is such a potential hassle, especially if you are planning to use higher than 1920 x 1200 panels. But even at that resolution, you need the horsepower of a top CPU and GPU(s) to enjoy gameplay. All in all, it's three (ideally identical) monitors, a higher-end CPU, high-end GPU(s), appropriate PSU, desk real estate, extra air-conditioning because of all the heat, inevitable frustration setting up and troubleshooting X-fire or SLI, and so on. Man am I a bummer!

But see, here is the thing, a lot of people welcome all of the above and more. And that is cool. Different perspective are cool. Go USA :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

hindolio wrote:
Ergo, I'd recommend 27-inch cheap IPS panel (Catleap or similar). If budget is not a concern, then a 27 or 30-inch IPS from Dell or similar.

Well, Catleaps are the only cheap 27-inch 2560x1400 panels. But they're also cheap for a reason: they're basically an LCD panel with a bezel and a power button. Only DVI compatible (I guess not a big deal), no OSD for fine tuning, no ergonomic adjustments. And they're likely to have a dead/stuck pixel. I really don't like buying a monitor where it's essentially cost/real estate above everything else.

Quote:
I can't stress this enough but again this is IMHO - multi-monitor gaming is such a potential hassle, especially if you are planning to use higher than 1920 x 1200 panels. But even at that resolution, you need the horsepower of a top CPU and GPU(s) to enjoy gameplay. All in all, it's three (ideally identical) monitors, a higher-end CPU, high-end GPU(s), appropriate PSU, desk real estate, extra air-conditioning because of all the heat, inevitable frustration setting up and troubleshooting X-fire or SLI, and so on. Man am I a bummer!

Actually, many games are GPU bound, and the CPU doesn't start bottlenecking the system until you reach down to Core i3 tier performance for something like Battlefield 3. But it depends on the game. And even at 1920x1200, a GTX 660Ti or Radeon HD 78xx will do just fine at high settings, unless you're trying to aim for 60FPS all the time.

The other parts aren't really that bad. You don't need a full ATX case unless you're really strapped for space using 12"+ cards. PSU requirements aren't that bad. You don't need 1000W until you start getting into 3-GPU setups. Crossfire and SLI have basically been reduced to AFR modes (splitting the workload provides the problem) unless you fine tune it yourself. And heat... well my system was just fine when it was a staggering 95F in my room. I wasn't running Max Payne 3 (the only game I know that will bring my cards to nearly 90C), but again, just have airflow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I think i want to stick with a 16:10 instead of 16:9 so the 27: is out. I think I will forgo multi monitor gaming, mostly just because the bezels will suck so much. Maybe I can do it in a few years when bezels get smaller. That means I should get the 30" dell? My only problem is that i can buy two 24" for less than one 30" which is hard to swallow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:56 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Only you can stop forest fires and choose the best monitor. I apologize if I am oversimplifying an actually significant purchase, but imho monitors are slightly like cases. They are pretty personal.

That said, again imho, a large, single panel is preferable:
http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x1 ... inch-16x10

A 30-inch panel is about 56.25% larger than a 24-inch panel,
or stated another way
A 30-inch panel has 4,096,000 pixels vs 2,304,000 pixels on a 24-inch panel.

And that is why the Dell 30-inch is $1k+. In 2 or 3 years it's possible that the equivalent of this Dell will be cheap compared to the next OLED, 5760 x 1200, single panel that will probably cost $1,899 or something like that.

LatiosXT wrote:
...Well, Catleaps are the only cheap 27-inch 2560x1400 panels. But they're also cheap for a reason: they're basically an LCD panel with a bezel and a power button. Only DVI compatible (I guess not a big deal), no OSD for fine tuning, no ergonomic adjustments. And they're likely to have a dead/stuck pixel. I really don't like buying a monitor where it's essentially cost/real estate above everything else...

I have not read up on Catleaps or Achievas or whatever they are as of late, but from my recollection, most back then used an LG IPS panel that is used in Macs. Yeah no OSD, but I can't recall the last time I fiddled with the OSD on my monitor lol. I can definitely understand avoiding the hassle of it because it's probably still only on Greedbay, but I think it is an option some would at least consider.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:19 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

hindolio wrote:
I have not read up on Catleaps or Achievas or whatever they are as of late, but from my recollection, most back then used an LG IPS panel that is used in Macs. Yeah no OSD, but I can't recall the last time I fiddled with the OSD on my monitor lol. I can definitely understand avoiding the hassle of it because it's probably still only on Greedbay, but I think it is an option some would at least consider.

OSD's is how you calibrate the monitor, among other things that may be nice. Either way, they're also the rejects, which I guess by Apple's high standards may not mean much.