Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question regarding GPUs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 pm 

Earlier this year I built myself a decent computer that I mainly game on (Wow, Skyrim mostly) I used the HD 6950 2GB from XFX.....would it be worth it to buy another to XFire or would I be better off looking at the 7000 series or the NVidia 600 series and stay single card? (I have no brand preference)

Would just like some thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Question regarding GPUs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No, not really. It's a good card for both games.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You should definitely wait for the next gen of video cards (GTX 780, HD 8970) or even the one after that. That 6950 still can handle any game at max settings right now. I have an HD 5870 that can push any game I have thrown at it @ 1080p and I am waiting til the GTX 780 comes out before I upgrade.

Unless for some reason your card is going bad, I don't see any reason for you to upgrade at all right now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:55 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Newegg shows most 6950s hovering at $200+, so I would concur with the rest of the commentors. IF the price falls closer to $100-125, then xFire might be something to consider. As it is, you probably have at least 1.5 - 2 years before that video card starts showing its age.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:03 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I concur with everyone else - no need to upgrade unless you have specific reasons to do so.

At 1920 x 1080 resolution and with an i5-2500K, this should be more or less you:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/510

Pretty much minimum frame rates at 30 FPS across the board with the highest settings. Crossfire won't help too much unless you are doing multi-monitor or going much bigger. But with your setup, if you want 120 FPS on a 120 Hz panel, or if you wanted 60 FPS @ max settings on BF3, or if you want the latest greatest for the sake of itself, then yeah you would need an upgrade.

Otherwise, imho wait for the next thing or wait for prices to come down some. Probably the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:29 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

4:1, No.

WoW nor Skyrim are graphical whores. WoW is more dependent on physical memory since it's an MMO and Skyrim is just what it is. They're not benchmarks for a reason. Skyrim may be a huge upgrade from the linage, but it's still basic rendering and simply up to date.

The real problem is that there's a suggestion that you're lacking in some point in want to upgrade. Can you tell us why you feel this need? Do you want to move up to 300fps because someone told you 90fps wasn't enough? What is exactly leading you into this desire to have more power? I say, save the firepower for FarCry 8 or Quake 12...not these games.

We've had a huge surge of GPU's the last 2 years, and that's all they did...surge and offer more. The games just aren't asking for them. Metro3 is still a frame rate bench, and that's even an old game. This surge shouldn't make you feel out of date because you're running at 10 instead of 11 (Spinal Tap reference). Just because some new product brings you to 11 doesn't mean you're not fine with level 6 on the dial. I run a 6670 and play those same games, and I've never had an issue nor the a reason to feel lesser than others I play with.

Just helping you off the ledge my friend. It's money that should be more better spent. Do you have a 30" screen or triple 24" yet? That will really make you more happy and thrust you into iFinity (Eff Xfire for single screens) and then the discussion starts on more relevant topics. Work on your environment, not the hardware 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:14 am 

Im not actually on the verge of dropping cash to upgrade....Im perfectly fine with 70ish FPS in WoW on their Ultra settings and Skyrim.....I do use a i5 2500K and have a 1080p Asus 24 inch monitor.

Im glad to know my rig will have a good couple years in it.

And I appreciate the comment of not bothering to waste money just to have ridiculous numbers I don't need because they don't improve gameplay.