Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 40 cores and a terabyte of RAM?! 1.21 Gigawatts!?!?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 am 

I think this is the right place to post this, but... Ummm... I don't know about anybody else but, I think the world needs to see a maxed out/overclocked monster of a machine using the Super Micro Computer, Inc. X8QBE-F mainboard as its foundation. (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon7000/7500/x8qb6.cfm?sas=n) You know. While RAM prices are still cheap... ;)

Post subject: Re: 40 cores and a terabyte of RAM?! 1.21 Gigawatts!?!?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, considering it's not a standard form factor, I think finding a case first would be your priority.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:36 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I guess it's good for shits and giggles, but that's about it. It holds zero practicality...but hey, welcome to the MPC forums and let it be known that your first post was a utterly useless post! Congrats, you'll fit right in here with all us misfits.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:44 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

That is a serious server board, but you cannot OC a xeon. At least not without a pencil. And you wouldn't be able to do two or more that way without timing problems I suspect.

James Cameron might be interested the next time he shoots a film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:55 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You can OC anything that's ever been made. I can even be OC'd by buying me a box of Nerds or a couple Pixie Stix.

The Folding community deals with this stuff here and there and it seems the Hardware section briefly touches on it. I've built a Dually Xeon to fold and get big numbers about 6 months ago, but it was a PITA, never gave fruit, and can't find what do to with all them cores beside sell it to someone else and hope they have better luck. I'll stick to fast desktops and skip SMP until I find the real need.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:09 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Chumly wrote:
...I can even be OC'd by buying me a box of Nerds or a couple Pixie Stix...

That's all fine and dandy, but make sure if you watercool, it's not with soda pop :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:22 pm 

Thanks for the replies, guys! Very interesting insights that just might help some other crazy folks out there who might be tempted to buy such a board sight unseen like, um...me... :P

I didn't know you couldn't overclock Xeon procs! I've been running a quad core Xeon for about 4 years in my server now. However, since my condition has turned for the worse a while back (dang. I have to update my profile... Short version: I'm paralyzed and in a wheelchair in constant pain. It's put a HUGE dent in the hobby I love...) I haven't been able to really dig in and tinker like I used to... :(

So...yes...this board looks like one that only a masochist could love. I'm still curious what you could do with it. Other than a monster server, yeah, it looks like video editing would be the only thing that would benefit from it. However, aren't there a couple of games (Supreme Commander comes to mind...maybe the only one?) that will scale up to whatever number of procs you throw at it?

At any rate, I saw it and just had to post it so everybody could shuffle around it with their hands in their pockets while mumbling things and poking at it with a stick. Heh, heh...

And thanks for the welcome to the boards! I don't know why but I just never got around to signing up here, so...now I can check that one off of my bucket list! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:14 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Overclocked or not, this would make for a very nice 3dsMax, Maya, or other 3D content creation render box, especially with the new 10-core Xeon's + HT for 80 threads :mrgreen: