Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ram
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:05 pm 

is this good ram if not why and also I would like some suggestions on ram because I am not a wiz on the stuff. I want ddr2 ram, I already have a stick of 512 on my pc but it runs slow al little help.

corsair ram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:29 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

It is Corsair RAM and it is rated for PC2-4200.

You do have a DDR2 equipped system, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:12 pm 

my system uses other ram
and well what does pc-4200 mean :oops:

One thing that does bugs. me is that I really don't see, well I really have never seen ddr2 at retail store I can only get it online. But still online it is farly scarce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:20 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

As I see it, they're identical. Even the sticker on the RAM says so.

PC2-4200 (DDR2-533) indicates what speed the RAM is capable of.

Yeah, DDR is still in full effect. DDR2 isn't as popular yet. As for being scarce, they're pretty common now. At the RAM page at newegg, use the left side filter thing to specify the DDR2 type and hit submit. You'll end up with a good number of pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:37 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

A slow system can't be blamed on "slow" memory entirely. DDR2 is fairly fast in it's native state. Value ram isn't the best, or even average memory by any means though. It's enough to run a system and not much more.

First, PC4200 states the standard in which catagory memory falls into. PC3200 is DDR400, which runs on a double-pumped 200Mhz bus (400Mhz).
PC4200 is DDR533 is memory rated at 266Mhz. The PC rating is a rough estimate of it's proposed bandwidth it "should" offer. PC3200 should be able to allow 3.2Gb/s.

The ratings are pretty much the same on DDR2, but it'll be PC2-4200 instead of PC-4200. It's proposed to offer 4.2Gb/s in theory, but may exceed that right off the bat, or dive under that. So, it's really just a clock speed rating these days. Why? A chipset could be holding the bandwidth back, or the memory itself just may not allow the bandwidth even though it can hold the clocks. It's only in classes above value chipsets and value memory modules that you can actually count on the bandwidth reaching or exceeding it's rating.

Good DDR2 is going to cost you through the nose. That value stuff can get ya a Gig for $134, While I had to fork over $350+ for a Gig of premium DDR2. The best DDR2 is still OCZ DDR24200 Rev2 Platinum, and is running at $305 for a Gig of their Dual Channel set.

Oh! You may be totally overlooking Dual Channel capabilities and is something every user should set as the basic choice first, then the rest can be weighed. If you want better memory, look outside of the value line and only in DC kits. But I have a strong suspision that it's not your memory that's making you feel slow.

So why is your PC slow? What do you have in there as the base of the system (CPU/Motherboard)? There's a LOT that can make your PC seem slow, and it may just take good parts to get it up to steam. Like, you could have some P4EE on a 925xe chipset, only to have a slow HD, like an old 4m cached 5400RPM, drive drag it all down and it feels slugish. One stick of 512Mb is not running dual channel, and hardly offers you any capacity for intensive apps. More than likely, it's running out of physical memory and going into your slower hard drive to use the Virtual Memory.

And DDR2 isn't going to be stocked locally for a while. You're lucky if you can even find good DDR in local stores. I think it was just this past year that I have seen Corsair XMS DDR hanging in the isles at Best Buy. Mostly they all carry budget stuff like Crucial, PNY, etc... It's all just enough, and not much more. Now factor in how many of us actually have DDR2 systems, where you buy it, etc...then you get into overhead costs of just ordering and stocking this stuff by the store's manager. It could sit there all year and not get bought. It has to be more widespread before they'll stock it. Same with PCIe video cards. Besides the X600/700, you can't find a PCIe card on a local shelf. That should change soon because both platforms now offer it up, and the craze is huge. But DDR2 has no craze...

Need more info...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:31 am 

well in my pc I have an msi neo2 platinum 915P mobo and a 3.2p4. My hard drive is a western digital 120G 7200 rpm. should I scrap my value ram and go to ddr ram so I can get better performance. If so what could I get that works pretty good

also my computer does run hot will that jepordize my performance? I have been meaning to fix it but the thought of taking my mobo out to put on the xp-90 and the lack of funds is killing me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:36 am 

What kind of case are you using? How many fans does it have? are all the fans dust free and working properlly? always good to check those kinda things before installing a new HSF and/or thermal paste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

your first course of action should be to ignor the ram and control the heat right now !! heat is your number one enemy and it wont matter what ram you use if your system burns itself up. less heat=betterstability and performance!

and when its dead and wont boot you WILL hate yourself for not worrying about a couple of 8 dollar fans first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:24 pm 

well I got this case at pc club. I am not quite sure what it is. It is a completely mesh case. it has handles on the top and the bottom. It came with a funnel for the cpu hsf which I took out because it caused my cpu temps to increase. I have a fan in the back of the case and an outtake in the top. my wires are fine I have those tucked away. my fans are working properly. my stock hsf is running as fast as possible to keep temps down on my socket T from going too high. even then my temps go upto a max of 67C!! this makes it the loudest machine in my house. I am really thinking a new hsf will help tremendously. what do you think guys.

Post subject: hey guys
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:44 pm 

ummm anyone??????? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:58 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

yea it should