Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Seeking ASUS LGA 1155 motherboard recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:41 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I just got the Asus Sabertooth Z77 board and am happy with it so far!

Post subject: Re: Seeking ASUS LGA 1155 motherboard recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:11 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hahaha...I have to admit I'm a Sabertooth fan as well. They're just basic boards (which is a lot these days), no fluff, and are hardened...solid boards. I don't look to onboard/software RAID, so I don't feel the limit. I keep stabbing in my real RAID card I've been dragging around and move along. But the Z77 supports 0/1/5/10 just like the p67 did.

I've had too many boards die in this garage that can easily approach 120F in the summer, including a "Military Grade" MSI. Both Sabers still just chug along with their 2500K's and have never flinched. It has an Intel NIC, don't need WiFi as it always sucks and will use my own (or wire), uber OC'ing controls that will never be touched, or half the crap a "Pro" board has. Those "Pro" boards have been more problematic than budget "V" boards before they even got out the gate, let alone put in my horrible garage to serve their sentence of pure abuse. The Sabers just have less problems/attention demand IMO, and will continue to buy up Open boxes when I see them available on the egg.

Being simple is easy today with all these choices. A hardened simple; I'll buy any day of the week unless something is specific I desire for that one build. It's not crap, and it costs just $30 more than it's comparable counterpart. If you've re-capped boards and gone through that hell, it's $30 in caps and you break even. Why can't they all be Rubycon caps? Don't ask me...but I'll pay $30 so that I'm not ditching the knock-off crap caps on a new board and buying my own. You can pay less for sure, but those should be limited to "user" builds that just get by.

There's websites dedicated to this, and BadCaps.com is still around because manufactures go cheap where they can. Not very Maximum to call solid boards "crap". I think it's crap to have shit caps just to save a few bucks. Tom's hardware and their zombies might like it, but not MPC.