Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Thats good to hear :D

But, if the card takes 300 watts. How about the CPU, RAM, Hard Drives, Sound, and all that good stuff?

Thats GOT to be more than 50 watts eh?

That 350 watt psu is a piece of crap, It's 20 bucks at newegg. I was thinking of buying a 480 watt psu or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:50 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Advil wrote:
Thats good to hear :D

But, if the card takes 300 watts. How about the CPU, RAM, Hard Drives, Sound, and all that good stuff?

Thats GOT to be more than 50 watts eh?

That 350 watt psu is a piece of crap, It's 20 bucks at newegg. I was thinking of buying a 480 watt psu or something.

:D No fear darlin Dear.
The three hundred watt video card rating I gave you earlier applies to a standard PC configuration: ie. one hard drive, a sound card, 1 cdrom drive, memory, cpu, mobo, lan card, a CPU and case fan.

Bumping the PSU up to 480 watts wouldn't hurt at all, but that's quite a bit of juice. You could run two of everything on your rig. It's all good, and will keep you on the safe side. If I were you i'd choose Antec PSU's, they are reliable. Now if you want to get all fancy, you can go with a brand called PC Power and Cooling, but it's not necessary.

I've been running a home computer that i've built on a 200 watt power supply. It has been working fine since 1995. Matter o' fact i'm writing you this message on that antique pc. I love it! It has a single cd combo drive, a huge 5 and 1/4 Quantum Bigfoot hard drive, pci video card, lan card, floppy drive and onboard sound.

Bear in mind, my pc doesn't require a cpu or case fan. Both of which will not draw very much power anyway. So its up to you, the 480 is best, but a 350 will be just fine. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:57 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

patriot ram is great stuff. a few people on here have had great experiences with it, plus it has a lifetime warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Both AMD and Intel recommend 400W PSUs for their newer systems as a minimum. I'd splurge and purchase a Fortron Blue Storm, Antec NeoPower 480, or other quality budget PSU....a good PSU is really undrrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:11 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I second capper's info. Even though you may not NEED 480 watts or better on a PSU, you always want to buy a PSU that will last and may be used for future upgrades that may draw more power.
Go with the Antec NeoPower 480 or anything above it, and you will not go wrong.
Going with anything less, and you may be shooting yourself in the foot and buying another PSU for a later upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Remember when you buy a new PSU.....24 pin power connector, SATA connectors, and PCI-E power connectors....Quite simply, make sure you get an ATX 2.0 PSU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 001&DEPA=0

???

Type: ATX12V V2.0
Maximum Power: 450W

It's 2.0 and a good 450W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:23 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Advil,

Can you describe your intentions or usage for this new computer?

Do you consider yourself a high-end gamer?

Do you work with CAD, digital video editing, or use high demand applications such as Photoshop to do some extreme image rendering?

Lastly, are you trying to squeeze every drop of performance out of this setup, by overclocking?

What are your budget constraints? With this information, we can give you better advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Alright then.

I don't game now, because my computer sucks and won't run any games. But I intend on starting to game quite a bit after I buy this. I do video editing, which I'm just recently getting into and I'll also be doing a little bit of 3D work in Cinema4D.

My budget is 1000 bucks. I really don't want to go over but it seems like it will be a total of around 1100 if I go with everything I chose plus a new psu.

I don't know if I'll be overclocking yet. I probably will, but I'm not a hardcore OC guy. I have no experiance with overclocking whatsoever but I may not resist the urge.

In other news.. I changed my mind on the motherboard, I don't want the DFI board, I think I'll be much happier with this MSI board.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... ory=BROWSE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:26 pm 

The coolermaster psu looks fine but I personally prefer OCZ's modstream series. Super quiet and they look cool as well as providing you with plenty of overhead room. Oh and you need to remeber to get a good cpu fan. I would suggest a Zalman Cu7000:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 119&depa=0
You will also need to get some thermal paste:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 007&depa=0

If youre willing to spend that much on a mobo i would save $3 and upgrade to an SLI mobo. A gigabyte mobo wont give you the advanced oc options of a DFI or MSI mobo but they are sturdy and you can easily oc a good amount ( I got an extra 200mhz on an Athlon 4000 no prb) and stay stable. Plus you get a fairly nice set of features.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 279&depa=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:33 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Advil wrote:
In other news.. I changed my mind on the motherboard, I don't want the DFI board, I think I'll be much happier with this MSI board.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... ory=BROWSE

Go with ZipZoomFly, you'll save some $20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:46 pm 

Zip zoom fly is indeed cheaper but i would fork up the extra $20 and go for a nice sli setup. You dont have to put in two video cards at once you can put one in now save up and get another one later.